[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] TriStar / ZEOS Computers

aer@tellab4.tellabs.com (Al Rossetti) (03/20/91)

A friend and I are looking at 386SX/DX computers and are
concerned about what we have been seeing on the net
about Gateway computers. Has anyone had any experience with
TriStar or ZEOS computers? Their ads claim they are both highly
rated for service/performance/price. Any experiences
would be appreciated.

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) (03/29/91)

aer@tellab4.tellabs.com (Al Rossetti) writes:

> A friend and I are looking at 386SX/DX computers and are
> concerned about what we have been seeing on the net
> about Gateway computers. Has anyone had any experience with
> TriStar or ZEOS computers? Their ads claim they are both highly
> rated for service/performance/price. Any experiences
> would be appreciated.

As far as ZEOS is concerned, you can get a lousy computer from Zeos but
they have excellent support to replace this loss.  Zeos uses excellent
motherboards from (Mylex and AMI).  There is some patch work done on the
boards, however.

TriStar is a very nice company.  They give you a 2 year garentee and
it is apparent that they use the Technology Power Enterprizes
Motherboards that Ares and Northgate uses.  The TPE boards arn't a
6 Layer board but, they do scream.  Check out Ares, before you buy
Tristar.

- Greg

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/02/91)

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:

>TriStar is a very nice company.  They give you a 2 year garentee and
>it is apparent that they use the Technology Power Enterprizes
>Motherboards that Ares and Northgate uses.  The TPE boards arn't a
>6 Layer board but, they do scream.  Check out Ares, before you buy
>Tristar.

	Northgate's flyers claim they manufacture their own motherboards.
One source indicated they have a subsidiary called The Motherboard Co.,
or some such. Can anyone provide the definitive scoop?

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) (04/05/91)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

> greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
>
> >TriStar is a very nice company.  They give you a 2 year garentee and
> >it is apparent that they use the Technology Power Enterprizes
> >Motherboards that Ares and Northgate uses.  The TPE boards arn't a
> >6 Layer board but, they do scream.  Check out Ares, before you buy
> >Tristar.
>
> 	Northgate's flyers claim they manufacture their own motherboards.
> One source indicated they have a subsidiary called The Motherboard Co.,
> or some such. Can anyone provide the definitive scoop?

> uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

My info about what motherboard Northgate uses is about 2 years old.
They could have changed to their own make in that time.