[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SoundBlaster/Adlib Compatibility

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (04/04/91)

In article <GNAT.91Apr4094459@kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz> gnat@kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) writes:
>Can anyone tell me to what degree the Adlib Card and the SoundBlaster Cards
>are compatible?

Well Sound Blaster is near 100% Adlib compatible (I haven't found a
problem in the dozen or so packages that I have tried). The Adlib is
not as capable of a board as the Sound Blaster, so it is compatible
with the Adlib compatible Sound Blaster part only.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

gnat@kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) (04/04/91)

Can anyone tell me to what degree the Adlib Card and the SoundBlaster Cards
are compatible?

Nat.
--
Nathan Torkington                           Contracting to CSC,
Internet: gnat@kauri.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria University Of Wellington,

BLEAN (n.)  Scientific measure of luminosity: 1 glimmer = 100,000 bleans.
     Usherettes' torches are designed to produce between 2.5 and 4 bleans,
enabling them to assist you in falling downstairs, treading on people or
putting your hand into a Neapolitan tub when reaching for change.
                 - "The Meaning Of Liff" by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/05/91)

From article <GNAT.91Apr4094459@kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz>, by gnat@kauri.kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington):
> Can anyone tell me to what degree the Adlib Card and the SoundBlaster Cards
> are compatible?

Sound Blaster is 100% HARDWARE compatible with Adlib.  You might ask
won't there be some legal trouble?  NO!  Because Adlib does not own
the "Adlib" technology, Yamaha does.  Both Adlib and Sound Blaster
licensed the technology from Yamaha, or as far as I know.