[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ALR BUSINESSVEISA 486/33

mardiros@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Mardiros) (04/01/91)

Does anyone have any insight on the following 486/33 i
am about to put my order in.  Any advice would be helpfull
thanks

ALR BUSINESSVEISA 486/33
EISA bus, 1.44MB & 1.2MB Floppy,
8KB cache, 14MIPS, 5MB memory
Phoenix BIOS

Monitor 1024 x 768 non-interlaced
150 MB ESDI

COST $8K

I plan to use the machine for Data Acquisition and Analysis.  Any comments
would be appreciated.

Marty

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (04/05/91)

In article <6732@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, mardiros@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Mardiros) writes:
> Does anyone have any insight on the following 486/33 i
> am about to put my order in.  Any advice would be helpfull
> thanks
>
> ALR BUSINESSVEISA 486/33
> EISA bus, 1.44MB & 1.2MB Floppy,
> 8KB cache, 14MIPS, 5MB memory
> Phoenix BIOS
>
> Monitor 1024 x 768 non-interlaced
> 150 MB ESDI
>
> COST $8K
>
> I plan to use the machine for Data Acquisition and Analysis.  Any comments
> would be appreciated.
>
> Marty

It is a nice machine. But be sure that you dont need more space inside.
Older revision had 3 EISA slots and three 8/16 bit ones. New revision has 4
EISA slots. Check to get a new one. The additional cache module and the
addiotional memory card are on the same line than 16 bit slots -- so you
cannot use full length cards in the AT slots if you have installed cache
and memory cards. If you have both floppy drives you cant have another hard
disk inside. The additional cache made it drop processing time to 20-25% in
my test using much memory. In some other test no effect.
Perhaps you could get bigger hard disk at the same price!?
I really like it.

Kari