[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP!!!! How fast will an ATI VGAWONDER work?

IO91472@MAINE.BITNET (03/20/91)

    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
  (It's about 1 year old with 512K).

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (03/25/91)

IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
>386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
>speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
I have an ATI VGA Wonder w/ 512k I've used in a 386-20 for 2+years.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>           bgeer%javelin@bambam.dsd.es.com           <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

coop4y44@bwdla28.bnr.ca (Takis Skagos) (03/26/91)

In article <91078.231000IO91472@MAINE.BITNET>, IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>     I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
> 386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
> speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
>   (It's about 1 year old with 512K).

  Hi.  I have a 25MHz 386 which uses the ATI VGA Wonder flawlessly.  You
should have absolutely no problems!

						Taki

blancha@uncw.UUCP (Chris Blanchard) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.032836.2145@javelin.es.com> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>>    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
>>386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
>>speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?

  I'm not sure that I know what you are talking about. The bus speed on the
386 will be the same speed as the 286 ie 8.33 MHz. If it will help I've got
this card on on my 386/25 w/ 64k cache and it runs at ~23k chars/sec with
the bois in RAM. Hope this helps.

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (03/26/91)

>    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
>386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
>speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
----------

    The video card only cares about the bus speed.  I'm running the bus on
my Micronics mb at 12.5MHz with an ATI VGA1024 (I had a VGA WONDER) and have
had no problems with either card.

    In fact, Gateway 2000 guaranteed me that all the cards supplied with
their system could run at the higher bus speed.

Ken

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (03/27/91)

>    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
>386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
>speed.

I believe the clock speed (10 or 25 MHz) isn't significant.  What counts is
the bus speed.  Every 386 I've worked on can run the bus at 8 MHz, which
would be no problem for your VGA card.

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (03/27/91)

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) writes:

> IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:
> >    I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
> >386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
> >speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
> I have an ATI VGA Wonder w/ 512k I've used in a 386-20 for 2+years.
> --

  And I have one stuffed in a 386/33.  It 's fine.

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (03/27/91)

In article <13000007@hplsla.HP.COM> kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) writes:

	[DELETIONS]
>    The video card only cares about the bus speed.  I'm running the bus on
>my Micronics mb at 12.5MHz with an ATI VGA1024 (I had a VGA WONDER) and have
>had no problems with either card.

	What are the standard bus speeds?

	What determines which bus speed is used?

	How does one change the bus speed (the posting implies one
can select it -- at least on his Micronics motherboard)?

	Can one tell what the bus speed is by visual inspection (a
crystal marked with a frequency, perhaps)?

Thanks.

Bob Davis, UofALA alum \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX: (407) 729-3363 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (03/29/91)

>	What are the standard bus speeds?
>
>	What determines which bus speed is used?
>
>	How does one change the bus speed (the posting implies one
>can select it -- at least on his Micronics motherboard)?

The most standard bus speed for an AT-bus machine seems to be 8 MHz, just
like IBM defined it with the 8 MHz AT.  I work primarily with HP Vectra 386
systems with 16 MHz, 20 MHz and 25 MHz clock speeds.  Each of these machines
has two bus speeds.  The choice is made with a DIP switch on the processor
board.  This is clearly documented in the hardware manual "Setting Up Vectra
RS".  The factory default bus speed is 8 MHz Async.  The optional choice is
half the clock speed, synchronous.  For example, a 25 MHz system's optional
bus speed is 12.5 MHz.

This is one of those times when you need a good hardware manual.

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (04/04/91)

IO91472@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>     I am thinking of replacing my 10MHz 286 motherboard with a 25MHz
> 386 and I'm worried that my ATI Wonder won't be able to operate at that
> speed.  Does anyone out there know - or even have a guess?
>   (It's about 1 year old with 512K).

  I'm running mine with a 386/33 ... no problems.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/06/91)

In article <13000007@hplsla.HP.COM> kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) writes:
|    The video card only cares about the bus speed.  I'm running the bus on
|my Micronics mb at 12.5MHz with an ATI VGA1024 (I had a VGA WONDER) and have
|had no problems with either card.
|
|    In fact, Gateway 2000 guaranteed me that all the cards supplied with
|their system could run at the higher bus speed.

That's an interesting claim since there is no standard spec for operation
at such a speed.