[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hacking a NEC Multisync

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) (04/04/91)

Here is the problem:

    I have an original NEC multisync monitor, with which I am running a
Trident based card in 800x600 mode.  Whenever I switch between 800x600
mode and text mode (80x25) I have to adjust the v-hold.  I called up NEC
and asked them about this, and they told me it is a hardware problem in
the monitor, since the engineers didn't even know about Super VGA back
then.

    SO, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to fix this.  It really
is a pain to keep having to adjust v-hold.

    I was also wondering if it is natural that I have adjust v-size when
switching between any VGA graphics mode and text mode.

Thanks for any help!

Ed

bbb@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/04/91)

In article <sbyWa9q00Uh_I2VHZf@andrew.cmu.edu>, et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:
> Here is the problem:
>
>     I have an original NEC multisync monitor, with which I am running a
> Trident based card in 800x600 mode.  Whenever I switch between 800x600
> mode and text mode (80x25) I have to adjust the v-hold.  I called up NEC
> and asked them about this, and they told me it is a hardware problem in
> the monitor, since the engineers didn't even know about Super VGA back
> then.
>
>     SO, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to fix this.  It really
> is a pain to keep having to adjust v-hold.
>
>     I was also wondering if it is natural that I have adjust v-size when
> switching between any VGA graphics mode and text mode.
>

> Thanks for any help!
>
> Ed
I  have the exact same problem with my NEC-MS. To mine I attached a
1-meg -or -so ohm pot in series with a switch and connected this
across the v-hold pot on the control panel.
I then brought the mon up in 640 adjust the original control for hold
switched to 800 and turn the switch on and adjust the added pot for
hold. (it might be the other way round  just expermient).
I just brought the switch out  under the controll panel and 'taped' it to
the top. Now when I switch to 800 i just flick the switch.
Though abut tring to get fancy and sense the vert-freq and electronicly
switch the vert-hold but this made it nice enough to live with.
Good luck

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (04/06/91)

In article <sbyWa9q00Uh_I2VHZf@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:
> Here is the problem:
>
>     I have an original NEC multisync monitor, with which I am running a
> Trident based card in 800x600 mode.  Whenever I switch between 800x600
> mode and text mode (80x25) I have to adjust the v-hold.  I called up NEC
> and asked them about this, and they told me it is a hardware problem in
> the monitor, since the engineers didn't even know about Super VGA back
> then.
>
>     SO, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to fix this.  It really
> is a pain to keep having to adjust v-hold.
>
>     I was also wondering if it is natural that I have adjust v-size when
> switching between any VGA graphics mode and text mode.
>

> Thanks for any help!
>
> Ed

I also have an NEC Multisync (type No.JC-1401P3EE) and I have recently
upgraded from EGA to an Orchid Pro-designer II.
I also have to adjust v.hold and v.size on switching to 800x resolution
(and it won't handle 1024x at all).  If you check the manual, I think
you'll find that there is a limited vertical frequency range that it will
capture, and SVGA resolutions are outside it.  That's my reading of
the situation, anyway.  I seem to remember someone mentioning a fix
to the monitor to cope with 800x (though not 1024x), but I know nothing
of this...
I am pretty well resigned to having to upgrade to (say) an NEC 4D when
finances permit (could be some time!)  and for now just put up with
adjusting the controls.  Sorry to post a no-win result.
Of course, if someone else knows better I'd be as pleased as punch...

Howard.

As an aside,
I am very pleased with the Orchid.
It runs very much faster than my previous EGA,
which reported 17 wait states on accessing it's memory,
and it also runs such as Flight Simulator 3 at a
much faster refresh rate.
Just a shame the monitor won't keep up with its
nicer display capabilities.
So much for 'future proof' purchases!
HDRW
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not