[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Which is better, color EGA or mono VGA?

xuel.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (xue leng) (04/04/91)

I am planing to update my monitor and I need your advice on which one is
better in terms of performance, price and the protection of eyes. Thanks in
advance.

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (04/07/91)

In article <1yZuZ1w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> xuel.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (xue leng) writes:
>I am planing to update my monitor and I need your advice on which one is
>better in terms of performance, price and the protection of eyes. Thanks in
>advance.

Well...I suppose that depends on what you want to do.  If you
have to have colours, then your decision is made.  I, however,
use mono-vga (800x600 under SCO Unix/X11).  I find the grey-scale
screens to be sharper on the average.  Letters are much sharper
in VGA versus EGA.  I'll leave performance of EGA versus VGA to
someone with hard numbers.  As far as price, you can get a good
quality (*) mono-VGA monitor for around $200.

Bottom line?  I like the mono-VGA alot.

(*) good quality == NEC Multisync IIgs.  trying to save a few $$$
    on a monitor is a good way to have a lot of grief later on...
--
	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,
		   honey, love the one you're with..."