[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Query: AT / XT keyboard incompatibility?

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (04/07/91)

I have had no success getting a new 286 motherboard to recognize my
keyboard.  I have tried two different known-working XT-style keyboards:
one a Keytronics 5151 and one a no-name clone.

The dealer from whom I bought the motherboard replaced it, but told
me that I need a keyboard with an "AT switch".

I thought that all keyboards using a 5-pin DIN connector were compatible.
In fact, I checked out the no-name clone KB in a Compaq 386 box, and
it worked fine.

Am I wrong?  If so, what should I be damn sure of when I shop a
keyboard for the new motherboard?

Feel free to post an answer if you wish, though I'd prefer Email at
	dmt@pegasus.att.com

advTHANKSance

Dave
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ	  07738		|
|    Logical -  dmt@pegasus.att.com				|
|    Audible -  (908) 576 2194  (Office)			|
|		(908) 922 9576  (Home)				|

jayh@ms.uky.edu (Jay Hofacker) (04/07/91)

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>I have had no success getting a new 286 motherboard to recognize my
>keyboard.  I have tried two different known-working XT-style keyboards:
>one a Keytronics 5151 and one a no-name clone.

>The dealer from whom I bought the motherboard replaced it, but told
>me that I need a keyboard with an "AT switch".

>I thought that all keyboards using a 5-pin DIN connector were compatible.
>In fact, I checked out the no-name clone KB in a Compaq 386 box, and
>it worked fine.

>Am I wrong?  If so, what should I be damn sure of when I shop a
>keyboard for the new motherboard?

XT and AT keyboard are different.  XT keyboards are 'dumb' with respect to the
Numlock/Capslock lights.  If you hit one of those keys, it toggles the light,
but if capslock or numlock is altered by a program, the light is not toggled.
ATs communicate back to the keyboard the status of the Caps/Num/Scroll lock
lights so the lights reflect what the real state is rather than what the
keyboard thinks.  Most keyboard can switch between XT and AT modes, check
underneath the keyboard or under the name logo on top for dip switches to set
the mode.

--
Jay Hofacker, sysop of the Audio/Visual Exchange, (606)254-1751 3/12/24 MNP 5
Mail: jayh@ms.uky.edu / uk02779@ukpr.uky.edu -- Yes, my signature is only 2 lin