[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How to utilize superstandard VGA?

heintzefmcsse.enet.dec.com (Sieg Heintze) (04/07/91)

I currently have a STB VGA with minimum configuration.

I contemplate upgrading to be able to display 256 colors in
640 x 480 or 256 colors in 1024 x 768.  Howver, the software seems to scarce.
It would be nice if there was a BJI file for turboc.

Anybody got some source code that demonstrates how to plot a pixel for
superstandard VGA?  I would think that this would be the kind of thing that
they put in the VGA manual.  However, I see no examples like this in my STB
VIDEO card manual which is the same documentation thay use for their
superstandard VGA cards.

              Sieg

heintze@genral.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
1110 Chapel Hills Drive  CXN2-2/35
Colorado Springs, CO 80920-3995
719-260-2184

jayh@ms.uky.edu (Jay Hofacker) (04/08/91)

heintzefmcsse.enet.dec.com (Sieg Heintze) writes:

>I currently have a STB VGA with minimum configuration.

>I contemplate upgrading to be able to display 256 colors in
>640 x 480 or 256 colors in 1024 x 768.  Howver, the software seems to scarce.
>It would be nice if there was a BJI file for turboc.
                                 ^^^___Do you mean BGI?
But there is!  The file SVGABG17.ZIP in the PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> directory on
simtel20 contains a superVGA BGI driver that supports most chips sets in
resolutions of 640x400x256, 640x480x256, 800x600x256, and 1024x768x256.

--
Jay Hofacker, sysop of the Audio/Visual Exchange, (606)254-1751 3/12/24 MNP 5
Mail: jayh@ms.uky.edu / uk02779@ukpr.uky.edu -- Yes, my signature is only 2 lin