[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Quiet power supplies

micah@leland.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) (04/08/91)

I'm in the process of buying a PC, and noticed that the (200W or so)
power supply being offered seemed a bit noisy.  The people at the
store knew of supposedly quieter power supplies, but hadn't had any
experience with them.  I was hoping someone here would.  Does anyone
have any experience with PC power supplies specifically designed for
quietness?  How much quieter are they?  How do you like them?  How
much do they cost relative to a normal power supply?  Thanks for
any advice anyone can offer.

						Micah Doyle

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.022627.4861@leland.Stanford.EDU> micah@leland.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) writes:
>I'm in the process of buying a PC, and noticed that the (200W or so)
>power supply being offered seemed a bit noisy.  The people at the
>store knew of supposedly quieter power supplies, but hadn't had any
>experience with them.  I was hoping someone here would.  Does anyone

I've been looking at that myself for a while. My machine is very noisy and
if you are trying to concentrate it's really annoying.

However, I've found that it's not so much the power supply as it is the
harddisk. If you take out your harddisk and listen to your computer it's
probably failry quiet.

Look in PC Magazine or other for quiet power supplies. Most work by having
a thermostat that will turn on the fan only when the computer reaches a
certain level of temperature.

Some neweer computers left the fan out completely. Instead of cooling by
removing the hot air, they employ better heat sinking and heat dissipation
through the case itself. The Brick by Ergo is an example.

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| Voice/Fax: (508) 670-2169