[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Is this a dream???

cliburn@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (04/06/91)

I entered the world of personal computing recently with the purchase of
a Packard Bell 386DX from a local warehouse department store.  (You know,
the kind of place where you have to dodge forklifts while looking for
breakfast cereal :-)  I picked up a 386-25, 125MB HD, 2MB RAM, internal
2400 baud modem, SVGA, etc., etc. for about $2300.  This compared pretty
well with various mail order houses that I looked at (except for the RAM
capacity).

Well, I got it home, opened the box, and immediately found an owner's
manual for the PB 386-33!  Surely this is a mistake, I thought.  Maybe
they only printed one manual for all 386DX products.  Then, like any
inquisitive child, after removing in from the box, I removed the cover
from the case to gawk at the internals and see what kind of goodies I
REALLY bought (Seagate HD, Panasonic FDs, Oak video board, 256K SIMMS).
When I looked at the processor chip I saw, much to my astonishment,
80386DX-33 stamped on it!!!

I hooked everything up, ran Norton V5.0 SI, and happily watched as the
processor sped along at 32.9 Mhz.

I GOT A 33 MHZ MACHINE FOR THE PRICE OF A 25!!!!!

The front of the system unit cover plainly reads: Packard Bell 386/25,
but the rear of the unit, in small print near the serial number,
identifies it as a 386/33.

Does this happen often?  What do you suppose possessed the good folks
at Packard Bell to do this?  I talked to a guy at the store about it
and he chuckled and said, "Yeah, they screwed up and we got lucky."

Comments?

Jay Cliburn

smithrd@laine (Randy D. Smith) (04/09/91)

In article <1317.27fc88ab@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> cliburn@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
>I entered the world of personal computing recently with the purchase of
>a Packard Bell 386DX from a local warehouse department store. ...
>...  I picked up a 386-25, 125MB HD, 2MB RAM, internal
>2400 baud modem, SVGA, etc., etc. for about $2300. ...
>
>Well, I got it home, opened the box, and immediately found an owner's
>manual for the PB 386-33!  Surely this is a mistake, I thought. ...
>
>I GOT A 33 MHZ MACHINE FOR THE PRICE OF A 25!!!!! ...
>
>Does this happen often?  What do you suppose possessed the good folks
>at Packard Bell to do this?  I talked to a guy at the store about it
>and he chuckled and said, "Yeah, they screwed up and we got lucky."
>
>Comments?
>
>Jay Cliburn

Yep, we were fortunate.  Your excitement mirrors mine almost exactly.
I checked with Packard Bell while asking about a different problem,
and found that they had "accidentally shipped a load of Pack-Mate
386-25s with 386-33 motherboards".  I was not only surprised that
it had a 386-33 motherboard, but a QUALITY 386-33 motherboard!

When I was looking at the systems at "the warehouse", I was comparing
the 386 system with a 486-25 system next to it.  A warehouse worker
came along and asked if I had any questions, such as about differences
in the two monitors, etc.  Curious, I asked what WAS the difference
in the two monitors.  He said the 486 system came with a .28mm monitor
while the 386 came with only a .31mm monitor.  I then pointed to the
386 monitor box, boldly labeled .28mm; he was surprised, and said the
pallet I was pointing to (and from which I subsequently purchased)
was just received.  So...you should be thankful not only for the
improved speed, but also the improved quality of the monitor.  I got
the impression that was another of the "mistakes" in that shipment.

Where all did these mistakes go?  Mine came from Oregon, and I would
presume Mr. Cliburn's are from So. Cal.?

Look at it this way...instead of being disappointed 3-6 months down
the road about what coulda-been, or what we coulda-got--it'll be
6-12 months instead.  We've only achieved a brief respite from the
ever-decreasing cost and ever-increasing capabilities.  (Ever the
pessimist!  Also, think about the additional cost of a 33Mhz 387
over a 25Mhz 387! :-) )
--
					Randy D. Smith