[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] add-in boards for PC-based control system?

yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Kerry Yackoboski) (04/07/91)

	Problem: I want to put together a PC-based control
system that will acquire data, digitally figure out what the
feedback should be doing, correct the control signal, and send
it out to the plant.  The system should operate at 100 kHz or better.

	Query: does anyone know of an add-in board I can buy
that will make this easy and quick to do?  I know I can build my
own from the chips up using a DSP, A/D's and D/A, ROM, and RAM.
However, if I can find an easier and faster way to do it, I'll
take the fastest way.  I've looked at a few data acquisition
boards that are used to log data or control slow processes (e.g.,
temperature controllers) but I haven't seen anything like
what I want.

--
Kerry Yackoboski 	<yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca>
The Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Laboratory in the Cellar

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr6.174254.8596@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Kerry Yackoboski) writes:

> 	Problem: I want to put together a PC-based control
> system that will acquire data, digitally figure out what the
> feedback should be doing, correct the control signal, and send
> it out to the plant.  The system should operate at 100 kHz or better.
>
> 	Query: does anyone know of an add-in board I can buy
> that will make this easy and quick to do?  I know I can build my
> own from the chips up using a DSP, A/D's and D/A, ROM, and RAM.
> However, if I can find an easier and faster way to do it, I'll
> take the fastest way.  I've looked at a few data acquisition
> boards that are used to log data or control slow processes (e.g.,
> temperature controllers) but I haven't seen anything like
> what I want.
>
> --
> Kerry Yackoboski 	<yackob@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca>
> The Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Laboratory in the Cellar
> U of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada

For fast prototyping and easy modification the Micro K Systems
IBM PC XT DSP Board is hard to beat.

It uses a DSP32-8 MFLOPS C and FORTH ( Rapid Prototyping Language )
and include math and DSP libraries from AT&T.

Comes with the compilers, and buffered serial interface.

Codec plug-in boards go from 8 to 16 bits.

They can be reached at (303) 693-3413
15874 E. Hamilton Place
Aurora CO 80013