[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Programming Sound Blaster Card

ferris@tcville.HAC.COM (04/03/91)

I have been hearing good reports about the Sound Blaster card, and I am
close to starting up saving my nickels and dimes (unfortunately need
a lot of those).  However, I have just a few questions about it.

Aside from games, my biggest interest in it is is writing software
for it.  Does it come with enough (any?) information to allow programs
to be written for it?  If not that, then does the company provide programming
information separately, but still available?

What sort of a burden does SoundBlaster place on the CPU?  Does the board
act as a completely separate processing unit, allowing the CPU to go
full bore on the other elements of a program?

Thanks for any information and tips about Sound Blaster you can provide.

Please e-mail, and I will summarize responses to the net if desired.

Mark Ferris                         smart:    ferris@tcville.edsg.hac.com
Image and Signal Processing Lab     dumb:     ferris%tcville@hac2arpa.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Co., EDSG           uucp:     hacgate!tcville!ferris

seth@wet.UUCP (Seth Olitzky) (04/10/91)

In article <14185@hacgate.UUCP> ferris@tcville.HAC.COM () writes:

>I have been hearing good reports about the Sound Blaster card, and I am
>close to starting up saving my nickels and dimes (unfortunately need
>a lot of those).  However, I have just a few questions about it.
>
>Aside from games, my biggest interest in it is is writing software
>for it.  Does it come with enough (any?) information to allow programs
>to be written for it?  If not that, then does the company provide programming
>information separately, but still available?

I bought a sound blaster after spending my hard earned nickels and dimes.
Inside is an order form for a software development toolkit, another $100.00
Comments that I have seen on this group are that you really need to buy it
to do development work.  It apparently worthwhile.  My only complaint is that
many of the objects that come with it are 'C' microsoft objects.  First I
program in Pascal and secondly when I do use 'C' I use Borland.

Good luck.  I haven't seen much stuff on actually development on this group
and would like to learn more myself.

.

Seth Olitzky             seth@wet
         ...!sun!hoptoad!wet!seth