[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Write protect a hard drive partition?

bgonderm@nmsu.edu (Bryan Gondermger) (04/06/91)

What I'd like to do is make a hard drive partition read-only.  I know
that this can be done with SpeedStor, but I'm wondering if anyone
knows of a cheap way to do this (i.e. either Shareware or public
domain).  We've got a couple of computer labs with over 100 machines,
so SpeedStor would be a little expensive.

Thanks,
Bryan Gonderinger (bgonderm@nmsu.edu)
|                 Bryan Gonderinger     bgonderm%nmsu.edu                     |
|               Network Programming     Box 30001, Dept. 3AT                  |
|    Computer Center, Small Systems     Las Cruces, New Mexico                |
|       New Mexico State University     88003                                 |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (04/09/91)

The shareware listed below may meet your needs.  I haven't tried it and
don't know anywhere other than the vendor where you can get it.

Write Protect Hard Disks (WPHD) - v2.0
Copyright (c) 1990, 1991 Solutions by the Numbers

Write Protect Hard Disks can be used to control write access to your hard
disks while running questionable software or to limit write access to drives
while others are on your machine.

Just like putting a write-protect tab on your fixed disks, any write access to
the hard disks going through the ROM BIOS will be rejected.

Using WPHD:

    WPHD command [/Ppassword] [/Ddrives]

    Commands are:

       ON     -  Write protect the hard disks (default)
       OFF    -  Turn off the write protection for the hard disks
       REMOVE -  Remove WPHD from memory
       ?      -  Display the current setting

    Example: WPHD on /Padmin /Dcd

    This would write protect drives C: and D: and set the password to
    ADMIN (case insensitive).  Once a password has been set, the only
    command that can be used without the password is "?".  Also, once
    the password has been set, it may not be changed except by removing
    WPHD from memory and re-installing it.

This program is supplied AS IS without any warranty, expressed or implied
including but not limited to fitness for a particular purpose.

Since WPHD works at the ROM-BIOS level it is possible that a program
can get to the disk by programming the disk controller directly.

If you find WPHD useful, a registration of $5.00 would be appreciated.

Send registrations, questions, or comments to:

                      Solutions by the Numbers
                      P.O. Box 1856
                      Germantown, MD 20875

For your registration you will receive a diskette containing the assembly
source for WPHD.

Have you been searching high and low for that certain program or utility
to handle a specific need?  Drop us a note and we'll see what we can do.

Releases:

    v1.0   December 26, 1990       Initial Release
    v2.0   January  11, 1991       Added password security and
                                   drive selections

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (04/10/91)

In article <84050017@hpfcmdd.hp.com> edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>The shareware listed below may meet your needs.  I haven't tried it and
>don't know anywhere other than the vendor where you can get it.
>
>Write Protect Hard Disks (WPHD) - v2.0
>Copyright (c) 1990, 1991 Solutions by the Numbers
FTP to WUARCHIVE (128.252.135.4). look in mirrors/msdos/dskutl/wphd.arc.
			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)