[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] wanted: faster processor

epc1@quads.uchicago.edu (en pum cho) (04/09/91)

I currently own a PS/2 55SX.  I do alot of things with it and basically,
it's too slow.  I'd like to upgrade to a 386DX 25Mhz chip.
To do this, can I just buy a chip and a new crystal for the clock and
replace the 386SX chip or will I have to buy a new motherboard?

I'm going to be pissed if I have to spend $1000 to buy a new motherboard
when I already spent so much on Big Blue.  Thanks for any replies.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/10/91)

>I currently own a PS/2 55SX.  I do alot of things with it and basically,
>it's too slow.  I'd like to upgrade to a 386DX 25Mhz chip.
>To do this, can I just buy a chip and a new crystal for the clock and
>replace the 386SX chip or will I have to buy a new motherboard?

Sorry... a little too late for April Fools Day....

>I'm going to be pissed if I have to spend $1000 to buy a new motherboard
>when I already spent so much on Big Blue.  Thanks for any replies.

Nope...

More like $4000 for a Model 70 (16 MHz, academic price + discount). Know
why that 55 is soooooo slow with Windows? Its got 8 bit video. And for
the same price you could have gotten a nice fast 386DX....

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.031536.17710@midway.uchicago.edu> epc1@quads.uchicago.edu (en pum cho) writes:
>I currently own a PS/2 55SX.  I do alot of things with it and basically,
>it's too slow.  I'd like to upgrade to a 386DX 25Mhz chip.
>To do this, can I just buy a chip and a new crystal for the clock and
>replace the 386SX chip or will I have to buy a new motherboard?

Try to put a 386DX in the 386SX's socket and you'll find you have 16 pins
left over.  Unfortunately the solution is not that simple.

| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |