[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Slow switching on NEC 3D Monitor

u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) (04/09/91)

I was wondering if anybody has noticed the same problem that I have.
I use an NEC 3D on a 33Mhz 386, attached to a SVGA using TSeng ET4000
chip set. When the card changes modes (eg from 25 to 43 line or from
25 line text to graphics mode), the screen goes blank for about 3 seconds.
I also have another SVGA using Trident 8800 chipset, and with this card,
the monitor changes mode in a fraction of a second. I also have access to
a Video 7 card (VRAM), an ATI VGA Wonder, and these are fine. But with an
Orchid Pro Designer (ET3000), the slow switching is back !
Is this a trait with ET chips sets? I dont think so, as a friend has the
identical ET4000 card with a 486 and a 3D, and he doesn't have the delay.
Its as if the card changes mode, but the output is not quite stable enough
for the monitor to lock for a few seconds.
This can be quite frustrating, as trying to single step in Turbo Debugger
can take 6 seconds per step as it swaps to users screen and back.

Can anybody shed some light on my problem ?

Does anybody have a contact for NEC (In Australia) ?

Thanks, Mike

--
| Michael Harlow          |  u855203@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au             |
| GPO Box 1201,           |  u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au          |

dgustafs@eecs.wsu.edu (gustafson david s - CS350) (04/10/91)

In article <u855203.671210665@probitas> u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) writes:
>I use an NEC 3D on a 33Mhz 386, attached to a SVGA using TSeng ET4000
>chip set. When the card changes modes (eg from 25 to 43 line or from
>25 line text to graphics mode), the screen goes blank for about 3 seconds.

I have a similar problem with my NEC 4D.  The switch from 80x25 to 1024x768
takes about 1 second usually.  And then, about once a week (very
unpredictable) it will blank for 1 second, display for about .5 seconds,
and then blank again for about 1 second.  Very strange.  Again, I have a
Diamond SpeedStar (Tseng ET4000).

Dave
David Gustafson - EECS  Washington State University - dgustafs@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu