[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tseng ET4000 programming reference

mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) (04/09/91)

I got a Diamond SpeedSTAR card with 1 Mb.  The card works fine, but no
reference was supplied for programming the extended modes.  The card
uses the Tseng ET4000.  Can anyone point me to a programmer's
reference for this chip?

	Hal
--
Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu |  only under ideal conditions.  Which means never.

marcos@netcom.COM (Marcos H. Woehrmann) (04/10/91)

In article <105408@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) writes:

> Can anyone point me to a programmer's
> reference for the TSENG 4000 chip?

The best programmer's guide to various VGA chips is the "Programmer's Guide
to the EGA and VGA Guide, second edition" by Richard F. Ferraro (make sure
you get the second edition, the first doesn't contain any information on
the SVGA modes custom to many of the VGA chipsets).  Published by Addison-
Wesley.

It covers not only the Tseng 4000 (and 3000), but also the ATI, C & T,
Genoa, Paradise, Trident, and Video7 chips (you can also get
programming information for each of these chips from their respective
manufacturers, but they charge as much as US$50 for this information,
and the book is only US$29.95).

Maybe this should go in the FAQ list?

marcos

--
Marcos H. Woehrmann    {claris|apple}!netcom!marcos  |  marcos@netcom.COM

 Oh, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but remember it's not what you
 say, it's how you say it, and how much you're paid to do so, and besides
 who's listening anyway.  No one, that's who, because it's all been said
 and done and done and done and done to death.  Let's talk about art,
 said the fool to the idiot.  --Lydia Lunch