[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] NEC multisync

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) (04/08/91)

The original Multisync can handle the 800x600 graphics, but the only
problem is that the monitor has problem with v-hold

Someone, has suggested the following fix :

    Wire a potentiomenter in series with the v-hold and a switch in
parallel with the pot.
    Then, adjust the pot so that when the switch is off, the monitor
displays fine in non-super vga, then turn on and adjust for super vga.

Anybody out there have suggestions on how to accomplish this without
manual labor?

Thanks.
Ed

*********************************
Edmund Tsai
Phone: (412)268-4602
email: et10+@andrew.cmu.edu
Address:     1000 Morewood Ave , Box 3288
             Pittsburgh, PA 15213
*********************************

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/09/91)

In article <obzuNeS00WBLQ25V1R@andrew.cmu.edu> et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>The original Multisync can handle the 800x600 graphics, but the only
>problem is that the monitor has problem with v-hold

[a possible hardware fix was suggested]

I think it also depends on the graphic driver's capability too.  I am using a
X11R4 X386 server on my 20Mhz non-caching 8 meg system with a SWAN ET4000
SVGA and a 3yrs old NEC Multisync II. I use

                            832x600 [256colors]

All the time and the image is sitting square on where it should be.  I don't
even need to adjust the knobs.  If I want to, I can make the resolution some-
thing like

                            832x610 [256colors]

With just a few editing of a driver configuration file.  So I am not too sure
whether the v-hold problem discussed in this thread is really a monitor or not.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

PS. I run AT&T SYSV/386 UNIX R3.2 on my box, if this matters

karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge) (04/11/91)

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>The original Multisync can handle the 800x600 graphics, but the only
>problem is that the monitor has problem with v-hold

>Someone, has suggested the following fix :

>    Wire a potentiomenter in series with the v-hold and a switch in
>parallel with the pot.
>    Then, adjust the pot so that when the switch is off, the monitor
>displays fine in non-super vga, then turn on and adjust for super vga.

>Anybody out there have suggestions on how to accomplish this without
>manual labor?

Shouldn't be too difficult if you replace the switch with a relay.
Drive a Condensator with the VSYNC signal and compare the voltage
at the condensator with a comparator (opamp), which finally switches
the relay. Would cost approximately 2$.

Sorry - I don't have a Multisync. I would have tried.

--
Karl-Peter Huestegge                            karl@robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                                Bus: 2,25,48,81,85