[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Princeton monitor question

f88hv@efd.lth.se (Henrik Vallgren) (04/12/91)

I bought a Princeton Graphics Systems Ultrasync 16 monitor last
fall. As it is a multisync monitor capable of displaying 1024x768
I assumed that it would handle that resolution in non-interlaced
mode as well as interlaced.

But in a recent PC BRAND ad it was mentioned as 1024x768i, where
the 'i' would mean that it only could handle 1024x768 in interlaced
mode.

The question: WHICH IS CORRECT ?

Thanks for any reply

Henrik Vallgren
f88hv@efd.lth.se

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.134328.15072@lth.se> f88hv@efd.lth.se (Henrik Vallgren) writes:

>I bought a Princeton Graphics Systems Ultrasync 16 monitor last
>fall. As it is a multisync monitor capable of displaying 1024x768
>I assumed that it would handle that resolution in non-interlaced
>mode as well as interlaced.
>
>But in a recent PC BRAND ad it was mentioned as 1024x768i, where
>the 'i' would mean that it only could handle 1024x768 in interlaced
>mode.
>
>The question: WHICH IS CORRECT ?
>
>Thanks for any reply

Check your monitor's use's manual, spec section.  If the horizontal sync
range upper limit is higher than 50khz, you are in good shape to get not
only non-interlaceness but also decent refresh rate, the later is FARRRRRR
more important then just non-interlaceness.  I emphasis again,

HIGH REFRESH RATE IS FAR FAR MORE IMPORTANT THEN NON-INTERLACENESS.

To get it, you have to have broad horizontal sync range with upper limit
well into 60 Khz or higher.  Most monitors that I have experience of
including some really pricy ones, always overkill in vertical sync
range and vedio bandwidth, so you seldom need to worry the later two.

GET ONE WITH BOARD HORIZONTAL SYNC RANGE WITH HIGH UPPER LIMIT <- KEY
This is the only thing you should care most in shopping a monitor,
other than that, it's hard to say, do-pitch? flat screen? price?
distortion compansation? color quality? misconvergence?  You can
make some combos out of these, but please put horizontal sync range
as the foremost one.

Hope the info helps.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department