[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Quoting PC Magazine and much more

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/10/91)

In article <84050014@hpfcmdd.hp.com> edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>The 12/25/90 issue of PC Magazine, page 169, claims that a 386/33 gives more
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>bang for the buck if a math coprocessor isn't needed.

I don't want to belittle or slight a well established, much read and popular
computing mag.  But I would like to point out one fact -> PC Mag's editors
are humans beings too. => they would make mistakes just like the rest of
us.  Sure, they have big marketing clut, if they say yes, then a product
immediately becomes hot, and vice versa.  This has both good and bad side
when someone relies on it soly for info.

Two examples:

(1).

One big editor (hint, who writes the Inside Track) sometime earlier this year
(? I don't read PC Mag anymore) claimed that someone TOLD him that MIT's X
Windows can be only run on 486 class machines.  So he want on and said that
he considered X just another passing fad!

I personal run X on a 3yrs old 20Mhz 386 without cache (8megs however) on a
daily basis, right now I am typing this message from a xterm emulator on my
box in the X environment.  The display speed is on par with SUN SPARCstation 1
at medium load.  An he (or whoever talked to him) considered this SLOOOOOW???

I pity him, because he obviously is not exposed to one of the most exciting
public domain softwares, X386 server wrtten by the brilliant German Thomas Roell
for 386/486 boxes running 386 Unices.  Thomas himself uses a 33Mhz 8meg memory
and he can always achieve a composite display performance BETTER than SPARC 1!!

And this PC Mag editor calls this SLOOOOOOW?

BTW, X11R4 does not require a math coprossor, Thomas doesn't have one.

(2).

Recently, IDEK 17" monitor was picked as PC Mag Editor's choice.  I played with
a brand new one right out of box extensively using Thomas Roell's configurable
X server to give it a though work out at display res from 640x480 all way up
to 1152x900, other than the last one, I always used 256 color, non-interlaced
resolution.  I will say my impression:

If I were to pick a 17", almost flat screen monitor for extended period of high
resolution use, I WON'T pick IDEK!!

The worst shortcoming of this monitor?  -> narrow horizontal sync frequency
range, it's upper limit is ONLY 50 Khz!  That's bad! (see below for reason)

Because a display's resolution is defined the portion of time of the a electron
beam sweeping from left side to the screen's right side and back to the left
side.  So, if such a sweeping takes 1280 clock tics of the current vedio
driving clock timing, and if you somehow can take 960 clock tics out of the
1280, then you be definition have a horizontal resolution 960.  Vertical res
is defined similarily.  This is all in layman's language, so technical precise-
ness is not claimed here.

BTW, YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE 640X480 800X600 OR 1024X768 by the above
definition.  That's why I used an unothordox 960 as example. Suffice to say
if you want to achive HIGH SCREEN REFRESH RATE, you need to have board
(eg high limit) horizontal sync frequency range, with upper limit of it
perferable in 65Khz ~ 70Khz or beyone if you can find one.  The boarder/
higher, the better.  For more details, see X386 release notes for a tutorial
on vedio timing basics.  Also if you want to buy monitor, please heed my
advise here too.

In addition, I am SICK of seeing montor ads claiming non-interlaceness.
Noninterlaceness DOES YOU NO GOOD if the screen refresh rate is low,
like 60Hz or below.  One can have all non-interlace h/she wants but with a low
image refresh rate, defined as the driving clock (eg. 65Mhz) divided
by the time required to sweep a electron beam from left to right back to left
AND from top to bottom back to top, then your eyes will suffer badly!

Go with high refresh rate, like 70Hz or even higher, NOT just non-interlaceness

It's sad in the world of Bill Gates, 640x480, 800x600 or all VESA suff
are all that are available to people.  If IBM had not come up XGA, I am
afraid that MSDOS users would be trapped in 1024x728 for much longer.

Enough said.  I just want to point out the potential fallacy of quoting
PC Mag (or even scientific publications sometimes) without checking out your
quote carefully.  Please don't construe my comments in this article as flame
to PC Mag or anyone. I only hope my reminder would bring in some new
perspective to this discussion.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.213259.17287@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>In article <84050014@hpfcmdd.hp.com> edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>>The 12/25/90 issue of PC Magazine, page 169, claims that a 386/33 gives more
>>bang for the buck if a math coprocessor isn't needed.
>I don't want to belittle or slight a well established, much read and popular
>computing mag.  But I would like to point out one fact -> PC Mag's editors
>are humans beings too. => they would make mistakes just like the rest of
>us.  Sure, they have big marketing clut, if they say yes, then a product
>immediately becomes hot, and vice versa.  This has both good and bad side
>when someone relies on it soly for info.
>Two examples:
>
> ...text deleted...

I agree with you that PC Magazine can err every once in a while.  But I am
familiar with that article and according to the article, the benchmark results
were the average of previous machines reviewed by PC Magazine, discounting
the very slow and very fast machines.
Therefore, it is very unlikely that the benchmark results posted in that
article are in error.  However, the statement "a 386/33 gives more bang for
the buck" may not apply today.  This article is 3 months old, and prices
have changed even though performance has not.

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.213259.17287@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
=I don't want to belittle or slight a well established, much read and popular
=computing mag.  But I would like to point out one fact -> PC Mag's editors
=are humans beings too. => they would make mistakes just like the rest of
=us.  Sure, they have big marketing clut, if they say yes, then a product
=immediately becomes hot, and vice versa.  This has both good and bad side
=when someone relies on it soly for info.

Two things:

(1) The editor you wrote about offers opinions, not the results of testing.

(2)  When you use the results of their testing, read the "how we tested"
portion to make sure that they and you have the same goals.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

In article <1991Apr10.000401.26196@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

| I agree with you that PC Magazine can err every once in a while.  But I am
| familiar with that article and according to the article, the benchmark results
| were the average of previous machines reviewed by PC Magazine, discounting
| the very slow and very fast machines.

  And nebulous things like "bang for the buck" are cost performance
figures rather than performance alone. The MIPS/$ figure depends on what
benchmark you use, but they all run faster on the 486, given identical
support and peripherals.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

c60b-1eq@e260-1e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/11/91)

In article <3675@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.000401.26196@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>
>| I agree with you that PC Magazine can err every once in a while.  But I am
>| familiar with that article and according to the article, the benchmark results
>| were the average of previous machines reviewed by PC Magazine, discounting
>| the very slow and very fast machines.
>  And nebulous things like "bang for the buck" are cost performance
>figures rather than performance alone. The MIPS/$ figure depends on what
>benchmark you use, but they all run faster on the 486, given identical
>support and peripherals.

MIPS/$ figures of three months ago definitely do not apply today.  However,
the performance (note: no dollar signs attached) remains the same among
identical CPU's.

+==========================================================================+

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (04/12/91)

>But I would like to point out one fact -> PC Mag's editors
>are humans beings too. => they would make mistakes just like the rest of
>us.

Yes, this is true of anyone.  But PC Magazine has resources that can be
matched by few.  I've bought a number of hardware and software products
based on the recommendation of either PC Mag or InfoWorld; I've never been
disappointed.  It does make me feel better, though, to find laudatory
reviews of a product in two different publications.

>One big editor (hint, who writes the Inside Track) sometime earlier this year
>(? I don't read PC Mag anymore) claimed that someone TOLD him that MIT's X
>Windows can be only run on 486 class machines.  So he want on and said that
>he considered X just another passing fad!

Inside Track is the comic strip of PC Magazine.  I read it for laughs.
There is considerable variation in the usefulness of the different
columnists.  There is one other whose column I consider a waste of my time.
A third one is worth reading even if I don't care about his topic.

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/13/91)

In article <84050022@hpfcmdd.hp.com> edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>>But I would like to point out one fact -> PC Mag's editors
>>are humans beings too. => they would make mistakes just like the rest of
>>us.
>
>Yes, this is true of anyone.  But PC Magazine has resources that can be
>matched by few.  I've bought a number of hardware and software products
>based on the recommendation of either PC Mag or InfoWorld; I've never been
>disappointed.  It does make me feel better, though, to find laudatory
>reviews of a product in two different publications.

But sad to say, too many people that I have met blindly believe PC Mag even
people in the know treat some materials in it just as jokes.  That's why
I put in some real tests honestly conducted by myself just to make my
point more clear.  People who have experience with X386 X11R4 server
will agree with me for sure.  I am confident.

Furthermore, regarding UNIX and X Windows (or it's related products, like
the contributed Andrew Tool kit), PC Mag editors are generally not experts
even I am convinced that some of them are good at these.  But those who
are good are not talking, those who don't know much often big-mouthing,
That's irresponsible! See my remarks above for reason.

>>One big editor (hint, who writes the Inside Track) sometime earlier this year
>>(? I don't read PC Mag anymore) claimed that someone TOLD him that MIT's X
>>Windows can be only run on 486 class machines.  So he want on and said that
>>he considered X just another passing fad!
>
>Inside Track is the comic strip of PC Magazine.  I read it for laughs.
>There is considerable variation in the usefulness of the different
>columnists.  There is one other whose column I consider a waste of my time.
>A third one is worth reading even if I don't care about his topic.

I am hoping that your comment and my earlier posting will give people who
have not gotton such perspective a healthier view towards pubs like PC Mag.