[net.travel] id AA17228; Fri, 24 Feb 84 09:00:39 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/24/84)

Date: Friday, 24 Feb 1984 08:59:56-PST
From: nacho::mpalmer
To: net.travel
Subject: net.travel

Newsgroups: net.college,net.invest,net.travel
Subject:  taxes on foreign income and US debts

Can anyone out there give me information on what happens when you
move out of the country and keep debts within the US?  Here's my potential
situation:

I now have a mortage on my house in the States which is providing a healthy
interest writeoff come tax time each year.  Within a year or so I'd like to
move abroad and go back to school.  I am looking at schools in England,
Germany,  Japan,  and France,  but would be grateful for any information about
other countries as well.  What I'd like to do is rent out the house here,
move, support myself by consulting part-time, and go to school full time.
The question is:  is the house still a reasonable investment?  Will I be able
to write off the mortage interest on my income tax abroad since I'll have
no real income in the U.S.?  Are there other ramifications I should consider
regarding citizenship etc.?

thanks for any hints...
			Mark P.

	decvax!decwrl!rhea!nacho::mpalmer