[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Monochrome VGA monitors

gcook@horus.cem.msu.EDU (Greg Cook) (04/12/91)

I am thinking about purchasing a monochrome VGA monitor with 256 shades
of grey until I am able to upgrade to a better color monitor.  Has anyone
used these monochrome monitors?  Are they compatible with all software
that uses VGA?  Is the picture quality worth its relatively cheap price?

Thanks for any info!

Gregory R. Cook                          Chemistry IS life!
Michigan State University      Watch for the next generation of Enamines
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu              coming to a Journal near you!

pfister_rob@dneast.enet.dec.com (Robb Pfister) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.123210.29989@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, gcook@horus.cem.msu.EDU
(Greg Cook) writes:
|> From: gcook@horus.cem.msu.EDU (Greg Cook)
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
|> Subject: Monochrome VGA monitors
|> Date: 12 Apr 91 12:32:10 GMT
|> Sender: news@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu
|>
|> I am thinking about purchasing a monochrome VGA monitor with 256 shades
|> of grey until I am able to upgrade to a better color monitor.  Has anyone
|> used these monochrome monitors?  Are they compatible with all software
|> that uses VGA?  Is the picture quality worth its relatively cheap price?
|>
|> Thanks for any info!
|>
|> =========================================================================
|> Gregory R. Cook                          Chemistry IS life!
|> Michigan State University      Watch for the next generation of Enamines
|> gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu              coming to a Journal near you!

I've got a Monochrome `loop' monitor and a TSENG 1Meg VGA card, and I'll
definately upgrade
to color when I can afford it.

I find the resolution, and clarity is great. (although I cant get it to do
800X600 windows, but it'll do 1024 X 768  interlaced ?!?!) Unfortunately I've
found that lots of software is too brain-damaged to do the monitor justice.  In
lots of cases you get your choice of complete monochrome low-res stuff, or
grey-on-grey..alt-ctrl-del time.

I will say for my needs...(Turbo Pascal, TC++,  a couple of games, terminal
emulator) It's all  I
really need for now..

Robb

Pfister_rob%dneast.dec@decwrl.dec.com