[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SVGA boards and 14" monitors - summary

wp@iddth.id.dk (Wiesiek Pawlowski (900415#GUEST)) (04/18/91)

Hi,

Here is the summary of responses for my query on SVGA boards and 14"
monitors. I finaly decided to go for the Sony 1304HG together with Tseng
ET4000 chipset based Diamond SpeedSTAR SVGA. From Gateway 2000, I've got
the results of the PC Labs benchark tests for SpeedSTAR, Paradise 1024,
ATI Wonder+, Orchid ProDesigner II, and Video-7 1024i:

Product:       SpeedSTAR  Paradise  ATI Wonder+  Orchid  Video-7
Dir scr access   0.82s      2.03s     1.27s       1.16s   1.32s
BIOS w/o scroll  0.60s      1.53s     2.85s       2.42s   0.94s
BIOS w scroll    1.17s      2.42s     3.68s       3.08s   1.65s

(PC Magasine Benchmark tests version 5.5 - performed on Micronics
386DX/25MHz, non-cache PC with shadow BIOS disabled)

Thank you very much for your help!
Wiesiek.
                                 SUMMARY
From: nan@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Nan Zou)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware you write:

> I am about to buy a 386/33MHz system and I have a real problem with the
>choice of the SVGA monitor. Every manufacturer claims that his product is
>the best one and for the least price. I've tried to approach the problem in
>a "scientific" way - sending a lot of faxes and trying to compare speci-
>fications. Unfortunately I am getting lost with this. I am sorry to bother
>you with my problems but please help me. I would like to buy a noninterlaced
>14" monitor for not more than $700. Do you have any impressions about the
>following monitors:

>    - Sony 1304HG

I have this one and I'm very happy with it, sharp images, smooth display,
a lot of other netters share my experence.

>    - Seiko 1450

I understand this is basically the same as the Sony 1304HG, same trinitron
tube, there should be no difference in quality, but it might a little
cheaper, although the Sony has a more attractive outlook, if that's important
to you.

>    - Matsushita ViewSonic 5 (does it have the same Trinitron gun as Sony?)

Don't know anything about this one.

>    - Gateway 2000 Crystal Scan 1024NI

This is a real bargain for the price, it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper
than either the Sony or the Seiko, although the image quality might not be
as good. If you have a tight budget, this one is a good choice.

>Do you have any other good recommendations?

How about a 16" monitor? If you have the money and need the extra area for
graphics work.

>Any comments on SVGA 1024x768 (1MB) boards are very much welcome as well.
>Currently I am considering the following options:

>     - Orchid ProDesigner II

This is what I have, again, I'm very happy with it, good performance, nice
drivers. But the price might a little high (I got it bundled with ny system).
I don't know if I'll buy it seperately if given the choice.

>     - ATI VGA Wonder+

It's used to be a nice board, but I don't think you should consider it
because it only has 512K. You shouldn't settle for anything less than a
1MB board.

>     - Gateway 2000' Diamond Speedstar

Basically the same as the ProDesigner II, same ET4000 graphics chip, some
claim it's even faster than ProD II, the price is lower, but the drivers
for Windows 3 is not as elegant as the ProD II.

>     - Trident 8900

Same performance and support as the ET4000 boards, but not as popular,
I would recommend aganst it.

>     - Boca SVGA

Another ET4000 based board, same performance as ProD II and Diamond,
plus it's the cheapest, if you want to save money, get this one.

>Do you know about any other good boards?

Again, if you can afford it, one with a graphics co-processor like the
NEC Graphics Engine, not really necessary if you mainly want to run Windows.
However, if you run AutoCAD or other graphics intensive applications it's
a good investment.

--
           Nan Zou              | Bitnet  : nan@ksuvm
    Kansas State University     | Internet: nan@math.ksu.edu
  #include <std_disclaimer.h>   |           nan@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
	I can't help you much with the monitor problem.  I am looking for
a 20" monitor at the moment and am having the same problem.  I can offer
some observations however.  I would definately suggest getting a multi-sync
monitor, as opposed to saving money by getting a fixed frequency monitor.
You may already have come to that conclusion.  The NEC monitors seem to
me to be overpriced in comparison to the other manufacturers, this may be
due to the fact that they are not discounted as heavily.  If you are
considering a monitor using the Trinitron tube, you may want to consider
seeing the monitor first.  I, as well as other folks I have talked to do
not like the display.  The phosphor mask is different on these tubes, it
is composed of rectangles as opposed to dots.  This may be a personal taste
or preference issue, but I much prefer a fine pitch dot type of mask.
You will find monitors that interlace at 1024x768 are cheaper than those that
do not.  It depends on what your needs are.

	As for a video card, I would look at the STB Powergraph ERGO.  I just
picked up one for $195.00 US with 1Meg of video RAM.  The card is capable of
high refresh rates, up to 72Hz vertical, non-interlaced.  It also can do
1024x768 in 256 colors with 1Meg of video RAM.  It uses the Tseng Labs ET4000
video chip, can be configured for lower refresh rates if your monitor will
not support the 72Hz rate, and will run in an 8 or 16bit slot.  My tests
show that the card is very fast, over 2X faster than my Everex Viewpoint.
I do not have an Orchid to compare it to, but I would say that it is a
better buy since the Orchid seems to go for about $100.00 more and can't
be much faster than the STB.

Drop a line if I can help more.

	Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones@acsu.buffalo.edu
Hi,
	I own a Sony 1304, and I've used NEC 3D's extensively at work.  There
is one and only one superior feature on the 3D - the digitally stored settings.
If you are going to be constantly switching between SVGA(or higher) and
VGA(or lower) modes, then the 1304 can be a little annoying with having to flip
the mode locking switch.  As far as display quality, however, the 1304 (and
other monitors based on the same tube - i.e. Seiko) can't be touched. Straight
lines are much cleaner, and colors are much more vibrant.  Most of all, you
DON'T want to be running 1024 interlaced on that 3D.  Some people can deal with
it, but it gives me a headache.
	I'm currently looking for a new (1MB) board for my system, so could
you pass on any useful comments?
				-Steve Stancliff
				 (stanclif@gn.ecn.purdue.edu)
From: antonyc@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu (Antony Chan)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware you write:

>    - Sony 1304HG
>    - Seiko 1450
>    - Matsushita ViewSonic 5 (does it have the same Trinitron gun as Sony?)
>    - Gateway 2000 Crystal Scan 1024NI

well, i have heard of both the sony and the seiko and i think
that either would be a fine choice- i think perhaps the seiko
is a little less expensive than the sony.  the other two i have
not heard of, and therefore have no comments about.

>Any comments on SVGA 1024x768 (1MB) boards are very much welcome as well.
>Currently I am considering the following options:
>     - Orchid ProDesigner II
>     - ATI VGA Wonder+
>     - Gateway 2000' Diamond Speedstar
>     - Trident 8900
>     - Boca SVGA

i would definatly get something based on the tseng et4000 chip.
i have compared my swan (et4000-based) 1 meg card with a friend's
trident 8900 (also 1 meg) and the swan is a much better card.
the data transfer rate is much higher (at least 3x) and it looks
like it puts out a cleaner signal than the trident (some modes
just wouldnt sync exactly right with the trident).
of the cards you mentioned, the orchid and the boca are et4000
based, and i'm not sure about the ati or gateway boards.

i hope this helps.
From: rehan nisar chawdry <chawdry@cis.ohio-state.edu>
              and Information Science

I am currently using the Seiko CM-1440, the interlaced version of the
Seiko CM-1450 (darn, should've waited) and I have knothing but praise for it.
It uses a Trinitron tube to give a .25mm dot pitch and that means that every
graphic mode is superbly sha,
Here's my $.02:

The SONY 1304 is the best of the crop of 14" monitors.  It was selected by PC
magazine as an editors choice.  I just recently bought one, and am quite pleased
with it.  Highly recommended.

The Seiko 1450 has the same tube as the SONY, but the monitor controls are less
conveniently place, and I think the case is relatively ugly.  It is pretty much
the same monitor, but I am partial to SONY, I think they make better products.

The Orchid Pro II is most accepted as the best (fastest).  The ATI and BOCA boards
have limitations (#of colors at 1024x768, modes supported).  I just got the
Trident board and am happy with it.  I was able to get it for $130 with 1MB of
RAM.  Basically 1/3 the price of the Orchid board, and probably just as fast.
It seemed like a good trade-off.

Hope this helps.

Andy
acook@athena.mit.edu
From: sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff)

As far as svga boards get something that supports 70hz non-interalaced
refresh, the 60hz is inadequate for a lot of folks.
Any tseng et4000 chipset board can do it (to the best of my knowledge)
Orchid PDII can
ATI Vga Wonder + (comes with mouse for freee) also does 70 HZ all vga
resol'ns and is very fast (i have one and am generally happy with it)
plus they are pretty cheap. Don't get something with an attached
graphics processor as they are not generally utilized by windows drivers.

As far as monitors are concerned I have a mono-vga so i'm not much help
Good Luck.
Marcos

General Robotics and Active Sensory Perception Lab
UPENN
Philadelphia, PA (USA)
From: chuj@horton.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY)

Get the SONY 1304, I have one, its great with the STB board, but I
recommend the Trident or the Orchid.  Seiko is the same, but I think
for resale value you would get more out of a famous name-brand.  They
are about $50 apart.  I brought my Sony for $615.00 about 2 months ago.
YOU'LL LOVE IT.

						Jeff
I went through this recently.  I chose the Seiko 1440 and the Orchid
ProDesigner II (1 MB plus "translator ROM" option).  I decided that for
*my* use (Windows 3.0 primarily) that a 14" screen was too small for 1K x
768, and that 800x600 would be my standard resolution (which is
non-interlace on the 1440).  I use 1024x768 only for GIF viewing,
etc,where being interlaced makes no differnce (doens't flicker anyway).
For me, the extra money for the 1550 (or Sony 1304) wouldn't have bought
me anything -- but when I can afford a >=16" display, the ProDesigner II
will go non-interlace just fine (it has a DIP-switch for selecting).

The Seiko screen "looks" like the Sony (it has a Trinitron tube), but
costs less.  The Sony has a nicer looking plastic case though.

--
Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Logic Analyzer Division