[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC keyboards - summary

wp@iddth.id.dk (Wiesiek Pawlowski (900415#GUEST)) (04/18/91)

Hello Netters,

Some two weeks ago I've posted a question about the quality of PC keyboards.
Here is the summary of responses I've got. Thank you very much all of you.
I decided to buy Northgate OmniKey/102. In the responses I've got there were
only two other brands mentioned - Key Tronic and Zeos.
In article <wp.671187822@iddth2> you write:

>Hello,
>
>I would like to get some input on the quality of keyboards for PC's.
>Which are the best? What does a *good* keyboard mean? Should I buy
>one of the Northgate keyboards? I've seen many Northgate's ads saying
>that "... you can't find a better quality anywhere else ...". Is it
>true?
>
>Thank you very much in advance.
>Wiesiek Pawlowski
>
>my email: wp@id.dth.dk
>
>I will post a summary if the subject is of any interest.

Northgate feels great, but the clicks are on the noisy side.  My OmniKey 102
(older model) has worked perfectly.  They seem to have problems with the newer
ones, though.  At least two people have complained on the net before, and my
cousin is having problem with his.  I just sent a letter to Norgate a few days
ago.  If I get any response, I will post it to the net.  Northgate does offer 5
year warranty and 60-day money back, but since you are overseas, I don't think
you want to deal with shipping the stuff back and forth.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao
I bought a Northgate 102-key with the F-keys on the left a couple of

Love it.  Good and solid, well-built,easy to type on.  I only wish
that Northgate built a replacement for the DEC LK-201.  There is some
"religion" in keyboard choices---if you like the feel of an IBM keyboard
and dislike the Keytronic, you will like the feel of the Northgate.

I use my machine for everything from programming  to writing a Ph.D.
dissertation.

--
Hank van Cleef
vancleef@iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.
From: K.Buck@bull.com (Ken Buck)

In article <wp.671187822@iddth2> you write:
>I would like to get some input on the quality of keyboards for PC's.
>Which are the best? What does a *good* keyboard mean? Should I buy
>one of the Northgate keyboards? I've seen many Northgate's ads saying
>that "... you can't find a better quality anywhere else ...". Is it
>true?

Well, I think the _quality_ of the Northgate keyboard is great, but it's just
not made for me.  I know it has a lot of devotees, it has good (and flexible)
key layouts, and I like the _ideas_ that went into it, but the
"positive tactile feedback" feature drives me up a wall.  When you press a
key, there's a mechanical click which you can both hear and feel; it happens
both when you depress and release the key.  This results is a lot of extra
clicking, and as a result, it slows me down and makes the whole thing louder
than I like.  If it didn't do that, I'd like it a lot better.  You may or
may not feel the same way.
A good keyboard is one that will withstand use, has the keys in the places you
want them and feels good to the touch.  The first is true of any reputable
keyboard manufacturer.  The other two items are subjective--you have to decide
them for yourself.  So the answer to your question about what makes for a good
keyboard depends on what you want in one.

What I wanted in a keyboard was one with the function keys on the left so I
could use WordPerfect at home and at work without impeding my touch typing--my
fingers automatically move to press Shift-F7 when I want to print, for example.
I also wanted a keyboard with good tactile response; that is, without the mushy
feel of so many generic keyboards.  So I ordered a Northgate.

I arrived yesterday.  It seems like a fine keyboard.  The touch is not quite as
firm as I would like (being used to an IBM), and there is a very slight
movement from the top before any resistance is felt, which I find somewhat
annoying, but I think I'll be able to get used to it.  What is more annoying is
the keyclick sound.  The manual says that it can be turned off, but it doesn't
say how, so I'm going to have to call Northgate.

Hope this helps!

Joe Herl
School of Music
herl@uiuc.edu
From: "Brian K. W. Hook" <jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu>

I've used Northgate keyboards for 2 years.  They kick ass, and I refuse to
use anything else.

For space saving, use the Omnikey/101....for F-keys on the left, try the
Omnikey/102...the one with two keypads is kind of overkill (the
Omnikey/102) but some need it.

Brian

PS Zeos are good.
From: "Ed Russell"                                   <ESR@SLACVM.bitnet>

Keyboards are very subjective but I really like the feel of my Northgate.
I would suggest you visit your local computer store and try several
keyboards.  Hopefully, there is on nearby that also stocks Northgates.
I have used about a dozen different keyboards over the past few years
ranging from cheap to IBM's. I love my Northgate Keyboard the best.
the ZEOS keyboards are also as good, but I do not like the key placement
as well. But Northgate is great and you have a choice of different keyboards
also.

mike benedik
benedik@uh.edu
This is a touchy question because every has their own opinions as to what
make a good keyboard. Many people love the keytronics. For MY money there
is only ONE keyboard company to consider. That is Northgate. I have two
of their keyboards on my computers and would not consider buying anything
else.  Northgate keyboards are twice (or more) the cost of some other
companies but they are worth the cost.
    No. I am not affiliated with Northgate in any way.

Mike

Michael Johnston
id8rld06@serss0.fiu.edu or
26793271x@servax.fiu.edu
In article <3294@kluge.fiu.edu> id8rld06@serss0.fiu.edu (Michael N Johnston) writes:
>This is a touchy question because every has their own opinions as to what
>make a good keyboard. Many people love the keytronics. For MY money there
>is only ONE keyboard company to consider. That is Northgate. I have two
>of their keyboards on my computers and would not consider buying anything
>else.  Northgate keyboards are twice (or more) the cost of some other
>companies but they are worth the cost.
>    No. I am not affiliated with Northgate in any way.

I would also highly recommend the Northgate keyboard.  The feel to them just
cannot be beaten.  After using a Northgate, everything else just doesn't
seem worth it.  This could have a bad affect, since most of my time is spent
on a terminal doing work for classes.  Even a terminal with a new keyboard
just doesn't cut it anymore.  They are wonderful, and coming down in price.
You can probably pick one up for under $80 now.

Derek Jewhurst
djewhurs@Cosmos.CalPoly.EDU
Thanks,
Wiesiek.

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/18/91)

I just had the opportunity to compare a Fujitsu 4700
with a Northgate 101i.  I accidentally ended up with both
because I thought I wasn't getting a keyboard with my
system.  I am VERY picky about keyboards, and so I had
done a lot of research and had narrowed down my choices
to these two boards (I like the function keys on top--that's
why I ordered the 101i not 102).

Having been an IBM terminal user from way back, I was
disappointed in the feel of both of these boards.  Neither
felt very solid, nor did they have as much "click" to them
as I wanted.  This of course is purely subjective as was
pointed out several times in the summary.  The reason I
am noting this here is in case someone else out there is
looking for a very solid "clicky" board to replace their
original IBM keyboard.  If this is you, you will probably
be disappointed in anything other than an IBM (IBM keyboard
that is ;).

As for comparing these two boards, I actually liked the
Fujitsu better.  I think the Northgate was a little louder,
but it sounded cheaper.  That is, it "clacked" and rattled
rather than firmly clicking.  It also felt much more plastic
than the Fujitsu.  For example, when I flicked the space bar
with my fingernail the Northgate rattled and sounded loose,
whereas the Fujitsu went "thunk".  (The IBM when I did this
would go "thud".)  So I ended up keeping the Fujitsu and
sending the Northgate back.  Please note that this is a
Fujitsu 4700 model and not the cheaper 4800 model.

I'm not trying to argue that one is better than another here.
I'm just trying to provide some comparison between two
very popular keyboards since most people will not have the
opportunity to compare them side-by-side like I did.  The
Fujitsu is still too soft, quiet, and "plasticky" when
compared with my IBM keyboard tank, but I've learned to
bang away just as hard on it as I did on the old IBM brick.

BTW, the 101i has been discontinued.  I don't know whether
the various Northgate models have different feels to them
or not.

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu