[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] format

tkawasak@isis.cs.du.edu (tatsuya kawasaki) (04/17/91)

when I tried to format HD, it said " Invalid media or Track 0 bad
-disk unusable
format failure
is there any way, it got to be, to format so that I can use my HD...
please reply me w/ e-mail
tatsuya@hamblin.math.byu.edu(note this is not the same address as this letter
was written.

Thank you

mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.051135.23168@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> tkawasak@isis.cs.du.edu (tatsuya kawasaki) writes:
>when I tried to format HD, it said " Invalid media or Track 0 bad
>-disk unusable
>format failure

Although this posting is a little vague, I'll take a stab at it.  You
are probably using a 1.44M 3.5" drive and you have tried to format a
DD (720K) disk to HD.  Your drive will not format a 3.5" disk to HD
unless it has the HD hole in it (on the other side of the label from
the write-protect hole.  Try a genuine HD disk and see what happens.

	Hal
--
Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu |  only under ideal conditions.  Which means never.