[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Cleaning Your Keyboard

AI4CPHYW@MIAMIU.BITNET (04/18/91)

I read not too long ago, in Byte I think, that it is possible to wash a keyboar
d with water. (i.e. submurge it to help clean out internal contamination)  I ha
ve an XT keyboard with a barely functional control key and an F3 key that is be
ginning to go and I am thinking about doing this.  (I am told that you submurge
 the keyboard in water (after unpluging it, of course) agitate the water a bit
and then dry it with a hairdryer on its coolest setting.  This is supposed to c
lean the contacts and remove accumulated dust and dirt)  My question is, has an
yone else done this, did it work, and would you suggest that I give it a swing.

Any questions, comments, or help would be greatly appreciated.  I read my mail,
 on the account listed above, pretty regularly so a reply, if warranted, will c
ome soon.   Thanks in advance.

                              -Alec Isaacson
                               Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
                               AI4CPHYW@MIAMIU

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Simplelogic (Joseph)) (04/19/91)

AI4CPHYW@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:

>I read not too long ago, in Byte I think, that it is possible to wash a keyboar
>d with water. (i.e. submurge it to help clean out internal contamination)  I ha
>ve an XT keyboard with a barely functional control key and an F3 key that is be
>ginning to go and I am thinking about doing this.  (I am told that you submurge
> the keyboard in water (after unpluging it, of course) agitate the water a bit
>and then dry it with a hairdryer on its coolest setting.  This is supposed to c
>lean the contacts and remove accumulated dust and dirt)  My question is, has an
>yone else done this, did it work, and would you suggest that I give it a swing.

A good thing to realize:  most PC manufacturers (for surface mount stuff
especially) will wash their PCB's nowadays.  According to information that
I have 'cleanliness' will affect reliability...

As long as you completely dry out the PCB and (very important!) the mechanical
switches, you will be fine...   Don't submerge the entire keyboard - just the
PCB.   And leave it 'drying' overnight after blowing it dry with the blow
dryer (although I personally use a fan to dry off my PCB's since I don't have
to sit I can grab the PCB and turn it all around, and then leave the thing
sitting for a few more minutes...)

--
Joseph I. Chiu, Department of Computer Science, Calif. Inst. of Technology
1-57 Fleming House, Caltech, Pasadena 91126.   (818) 585-0393