[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How do I find a quiet computer?

woolleyj@lafcol.UUCP (James Woolley) (04/18/91)

I'm looking for a 386 or 386sx that's quiet. I'd be grateful for
suggestions, or recommendations of things to look for. I've used a
Gateway 386 and found its fan loud and its hard disk noisy, though
perhaps a different hard drive would be quieter? I've also used a Zenith
386-SX and had no complaints about the hard disk but have felt the fan
could have been quieter.

Sometimes I walk into a colleague's office and can't carry on a quiet
conversation because the computer is roaring! Surely there are solutions
to this problem.

James Woolley, Lafayette College
rutgers!lafcol!woolleyj
woolleyj@lafayett.bitnet
woolleyj@lafvax.lafayette.edu

c60b-1eq@web-4f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/19/91)

In article <2666@lafcol.UUCP> woolleyj@lafcol.UUCP (James Woolley) writes:
>I'm looking for a 386 or 386sx that's quiet. I'd be grateful for
>suggestions, or recommendations of things to look for. I've used a
>Gateway 386 and found its fan loud and its hard disk noisy, though
>perhaps a different hard drive would be quieter? I've also used a Zenith
>386-SX and had no complaints about the hard disk but have felt the fan
>could have been quieter.

What you need is a new power supply, not a new computer.  The two sources
of noise are the hard disk and the fan. PC Power & Cooling Co. manufactures
a 150W power supply known as the Silencer 150, which claims to be 84%
quieter than a standard 150W power supply.  They also manufacture models
which increase air flow while lowering noise (though not as much).  A few
years ago when they first starting advertising their power supplies, I
bought one of the turbo-cool models and have had no problems since.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/19/91)

In article <2666@lafcol.UUCP> woolleyj@lafcol.UUCP (James Woolley) writes:
>I'm looking for a 386 or 386sx that's quiet. I'd be grateful for
>suggestions, or recommendations of things to look for. I've used a
>Gateway 386 and found its fan loud and its hard disk noisy, though
>perhaps a different hard drive would be quieter? I've also used a Zenith
>386-SX and had no complaints about the hard disk but have felt the fan
>could have been quieter.
>
>Sometimes I walk into a colleague's office and can't carry on a quiet
>conversation because the computer is roaring! Surely there are solutions
>to this problem.
>
>James Woolley, Lafayette College
>rutgers!lafcol!woolleyj
>woolleyj@lafayett.bitnet
>woolleyj@lafvax.lafayette.edu

Buy an Ergo Brick.  They are small.  Don't have a fan.  And use the more
quiet 3.5" hard drives.  You can find their ads in most computer mag's.
The only down side is that they arnt as expandable-- I wouldent try to
put a 360meg HD in them...
--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .