[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Seiko CM1440 problem

u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/19/91)

Anyone have problems with their Sieko CM1440?  I'm observing that my screen
can't stay put.  It tends to vibrate up and down slightly in text mode and VGA
mode.  1024x768 seems okay...but 800x600 moves up and down so badly that I
can't use that mode--it gets me dizzy.

In text mode, it vibrates enough so I can see it, but not enough so that I
can't concentrate.  This is going to be the third time I'm going to send my
monitor to get fixed.  Is the place in CA the only place I can get it repaired?
Or can I bring it somewhere locally ?  I live in MA...

Thanks

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/19/91)

u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Anyone have problems with their Sieko CM1440?  I'm observing that my screen
>can't stay put.  It tends to vibrate up and down slightly in text mode and VGA
>mode.  1024x768 seems okay...but 800x600 moves up and down so badly that I
>can't use that mode--it gets me dizzy.

Do you have it near a TV or another monitor type of device?
If so, MOVE IT!

--
	The best way to preserve your RKBA is to vote Libertarian.

tedk@cbnewsc.att.com (ted.g.kekatos) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.170319.4127@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
|Anyone have problems with their Seiko CM1440?  I'm observing that my screen
|can't stay put.  It tends to vibrate up and down slightly in text mode and VGA
|mode.  1024x768 seems okay...but 800x600 moves up and down so badly that I
|can't use that mode--it gets me dizzy.

[stuff deleted]

I have a Seiko CM1440 since 01/15/91. I have found that the CM1440
is quite sensitive to RF and Magnetic interference.  When I first
setup my machine, I positioned my AC power strip next to the monitor.
There are two AC transformers plugged into the strip. If the transformers
are any closer that 2 feet, I can see the screen vibrate. The solution was
to add a second power strip, just for the transformers, sitting on the
floor under my desk.  I also have a Amateur Radio transmitter in the room
near my system. The screen jumps around alittle when I transmit. I have
experimented with the antenna COAX cable. I have re-routed it, and have
lessen the RFI problem alittle.

This is my second CM1440. The first had a defective HV power supply.
There must  have been a loose connection somewhere.  The HV power supply
would shutdown (green light would stay on) if the desk or monitor
would get bumped.  My dealer exchanged the monitor.  The only strange
thing that has happened was the CM1440 turned itself off once about a
week ago. The system was idle at the time. I was in the room watching
TV. I heard the typical high pitched noise that the monitor makes when
it syncs to a different mode. I turned my head toward the monitor. I
saw the screen go blank and the green power LED go out. I quickly turned
the monitor power off.  After sniffing for smoke, which there wasn't,
I turned it back on.  It worked fine, and has not happened
again.   (Knock on wood).

Ted G. Kekatos           Amateur Radio N9IXE
Packet: N9IXE @ WB9MJN.IL.USA.NA
INTERNET: tedk@i88.isc.com
UUCP: ..!att!ihlpl!tedk                   708.979.0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill, IH-6T-206
2000 North Naperville Road.
Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA