[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DOS not recognizing printer?

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (04/17/91)

When the computer is booted up, does it check whether the printer is online and
set a flag somewhere?  On my friend's computer (Epson Equity I) with HP LJIIP,
Word Perfect 5.1 complains about the printer not being on (online?).  This
happens when the printer is turned on AFTER the computer is booted up.  If we
reboot the computer, or turn on the printer first, everything works fine.  I
have encountered this myself before, but not on my current system.  By the way,
we are using MS DOS 3.3.  I know it resets the printer when DOS is loaded.

My question is: is there a way to force DOS to recognize the printer, by
setting a flag or something?  Thanks.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu    ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.024321.13665@cs.ucla.edu> chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
>When the computer is booted up, does it check whether the printer is online and
>set a flag somewhere?  On my friend's computer (Epson Equity I) with HP LJIIP,
>Word Perfect 5.1 complains about the printer not being on (online?).  This
>happens when the printer is turned on AFTER the computer is booted up.  If we
>reboot the computer, or turn on the printer first, everything works fine.

When I replaced an IBM AT Model 239 with a Dell System 310, I encountered this
exact problem.  I called Dell, and, very helpful as usual, they knew the
answer:  An isolation device in the cable to the printer is required.  It
consists of an "adapter plug" with a resistor in each line, around 120 ohms I
vaguely recall.  They sent me one for a modest fee, like $20.  It works.
I don't know any of the underlying details, nor do I know what such a
device is called.  But a "printer isolation adapter plug" would capture
the spirit of it.
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776