[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 4-port and 8-port RS-232 cards

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (04/17/91)

Some time ago I read about a source for inexpensive multi-port RS-232
cards in this newsgroup.

They were apparently available from a source in Taiwan (I believe), at
around $100+

If anyone remembers the source, address and any other particulars, I would
appreciate receiving it.

Much thanks in advance.

 ---
    Steve Pershing, System Administrator

 : The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :
 :===========================================================================:
 : Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
 : Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
 :           Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/17/91)

From article <kBsi12w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, by sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing):
> Some time ago I read about a source for inexpensive multi-port RS-232
> cards in this newsgroup.
>
> They were apparently available from a source in Taiwan (I believe), at
> around $100+
>
> If anyone remembers the source, address and any other particulars, I would
> appreciate receiving it.

I have a 4-port serial card (all 4 UART's are there) for $89 from
Alex Electronics (see Computer Shoppers).  Mine is for AT machine, the
XT machine version is about $59, I think.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/20/91)

In article <kBsi12w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) writes:
>Some time ago I read about a source for inexpensive multi-port RS-232
>cards in this newsgroup.

JDR (800-538-5001) has got four-port cards priced at $89, $139, and $199.
Price depends on the type of UART provided and software drivers.  It doesn't
say explicitly in the catalog, but reading between the lines leads me to
believe the $199 card can multiplex all four ports on to one IRQ, and the
less expensive ones can't.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)