[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] info needed on SOTA 386SX upgrade board

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/17/91)

    Hello netters!

    If anyone has ANY info (pricing, performance, compatibility etc.)
    on SOTA Technologys SOTA Express/386 slotless accelerator upgrade
    for ATs (80286) and PS/2 models 50/60, please e-mail me. I have a
    model 60 and I'd like to upgrade it to a 386SX. I will summarize.

    Thanks in advance,
    Teemu.
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

From The Mind Of <U39648@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/18/91)

>    If anyone has ANY info (pricing, performance, compatibility etc.)
>    on SOTA Technologys SOTA Express/386 slotless accelerator upgrade
>    for ATs (80286) and PS/2 models 50/60, please e-mail me. I have a
>    model 60 and I'd like to upgrade it to a 386SX. I will summarize.

The SOTA Express/386 is basically an Intel 386SX processor with a static
RAM cache and a socket for a 387SX math coprocessor all on a little
card that plugs into an 80286 socket.  There are two versions, a 16MHz
version with 16K cache, and a 20MHz version with 32K cache.

Performance is not up to par with an IBM Model 55SX, which uses a 16MHz
386SX.  Most lacking is graphics speed, but that's because the VGA gets
no speedup at all.  What does get sped-up is the actual computations, so
spreadsheets calc faster, spell checkers work faster, etc.  The 16MHz
version seems to perform better than a 12MHz 80286, and not quite the
performance of a 16MHz 386SX.  I've heard the 20MHz version performs
around the same as a mainstream 16MHz 386SX clone.

I saw the 16MHz version advertised locally for $425.  Note that you also
need an adapter, that runs from $50 to $75.

It works with IBM PS/2 Models 50, 50Z, and 60.  It does NOT work on the
Model 30-286.  (I'm unsure of 25-286 compatibility, but my best guess is
no.)

It runs Windows in 386 enhanced mode with no problems.  It also will allow
the computer to use all 386-specific software, such as BlueMAX.  So you
can use all those neat memory management programs with it.

It seems like a perfect product, but to be honest, I think $500+ is a bit
steep for not-quite 16MHz 386 performance.

- Darius
   BITNET: U39648@UICVM             | "I'd rather laugh with the sinners
 Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu     |         than cry with the saints,
====================================|  the sinners are much more fun,
  "Don't set fire to strangers."    |  and only the good die young."
  - Mr. Zarniwoop                   |  - Billy Joel

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.165958.6023@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

       Hello netters!

       If anyone has ANY info (pricing, performance, compatibility etc.)
       on SOTA Technologys SOTA Express/386 slotless accelerator upgrade
       for ATs (80286) and PS/2 models 50/60, please e-mail me. I have a
       model 60 and I'd like to upgrade it to a 386SX. I will summarize.

       Thanks in advance,
       Teemu.
   --
				_________
	   Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi
       University of Helsinki  |         |   bitnet: TMOTTONEN@FINUH
      Dept.of Computer Science |_________|	  decnet: HYLK::TMOTTONEN

The current issue of PC magazine has a review of a few of these 386
plug in boards.  They don't sound too good.  For the ATs it looked
like some 386 replacement motherboard would be a better shot.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (04/20/91)

In <91107.194110U39648@> From The Mind Of <U39648@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
>>    If anyone has ANY info (pricing, performance, compatibility etc.)
>>    on SOTA Technologys SOTA Express/386 slotless accelerator upgrade
>>    for ATs (80286) and PS/2 models 50/60, please e-mail me.
>The SOTA Express/386... 386SX processor, static cache, socket for 387Sx
>There are two versions, 16MHz with 16K cache, and 20MHz with 32K cache.
>Performance is not up to par with an IBM Model 55SX, which uses a 16MHz
>386SX.  The 16MHz seems to perform better than a 12MHz 80286, (not quite)
> of a 16MHz 386SX.  I've heard the 20MHz version performs(like) 16MHz 386SX

   With a  respect to SOTA (and the previous poster had quite a good review
overall of the product, covering it....).  The sota doesn't cut it.  The big-
gest bottleneck is the memory accessing af the 286 in these systems.  The
overall inside application performance of a sota (16 MHZ) is blown out of the
water by the INTEL INBOARD 386 AT.  This card uses a FULL 386, comes WITH
1 MB of 16 MHZ 32 bit DRAM, and software that can (usually) copy the video
rom to 32 bit ram to vastly accelerate video I/O as well.  The card provides
FULL 32 bit 16 MHZ system performance in everything except the I/O bus.
Buffering the video rom helps greatly, so the bottleneck becomes the disk
i/o rates.  What's worse, is it's only about $100 more than the sota wich
comes with NO system dram.  Further, it has a single 32 bit expansion socket
on it, and allows an additional 32 bit option card, such as another memory
card.
   HOWEVER, it only works with AT bus machines.  You may be better off to swap
systems with somebody that has a IBM 30-286, get the $100 from them, and buy
the intel board instead.
   I can only hope that intel has a inboard for small microchannel systems.
Personally, I'm hoping for a 25 MHZ inboard Microchannel card from INTEL....

al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

From The Mind Of <U39648@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/21/91)

>   I can only hope that intel has a inboard for small microchannel systems.
>Personally, I'm hoping for a 25 MHZ inboard Microchannel card from INTEL....

Well, Intel has no expressed interest in such a product, and an IBM Business
Partner has been making such a product for quite some time now:

Aox International
486 Totten Pond Road
Waltham, MA 02154

Phone: 1-617-890-4402 / 1-800-232-1269
  FAX: 1-617-890-8445

The product is called the Aox MicroMASTER.  There is an Aox MicroMASTER 386
in 20MHz and 25MHz that is a 16-bit bus-mastering Micro Channel adapter, and
an Aox MicroMASTER 386 33MHz and an Aox MicroMASTER 486 25MHz that are bus-
mastering 32-bit Micro Channel adapters that also work in 16-bit slots.

The 386 boards offer 387 support, and they all support up to 8M of 32-bit
memory on the adapter, in addition to any system memory already installed.
The 20/25MHz versions have a 32K static RAM cache.   (Don't know how big the
386-33 or 485-25 is...)

Ever see an IBM show where they've show a "super server" with two 486s?  It
was a prototype IBM PS/2 95 XP with an Aox MicroMASTER 486 installed.

There's some software that was just announced called OS/Master for these cards
that allow your original processor to run one operating system, and the 386/486
on the MicroMASTER to run another.  I have not seen this done yet.

It may be noted that I'm a happy Aox customer, but I'm not affiliated with them
in any other way.

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (04/22/91)

In article <91107.194110U39648@uicvm.uic.edu>, U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (From The Mind Of) writes:
>>    If anyone has ANY info (pricing, performance, compatibility etc.)
>>    on SOTA Technologys SOTA Express/386 slotless accelerator upgrade
>>    for ATs (80286) and PS/2 models 50/60, please e-mail me. I have a
>>    model 60 and I'd like to upgrade it to a 386SX. I will summarize.
>
> The SOTA Express/386 is basically an Intel 386SX processor with a static
> RAM cache and a socket for a 387SX math coprocessor all on a little
> card that plugs into an 80286 socket.  There are two versions, a 16MHz
> version with 16K cache, and a 20MHz version with 32K cache.
>
> Performance is not up to par with an IBM Model 55SX, which uses a 16MHz
> 386SX.  Most lacking is graphics speed, but that's because the VGA gets
> no speedup at all.  What does get sped-up is the actual computations, so
> spreadsheets calc faster, spell checkers work faster, etc.  The 16MHz
> version seems to perform better than a 12MHz 80286, and not quite the
> performance of a 16MHz 386SX.  I've heard the 20MHz version performs
> around the same as a mainstream 16MHz 386SX clone.
>
> I saw the 16MHz version advertised locally for $425.  Note that you also
> need an adapter, that runs from $50 to $75.

    I just saw an ad for a SX/NOW! upgrade for PS/2 models 50
    & 60. by Sigma Data. It features 16 KB of cache, onboard
    16 MHz processor clock, socket for 387SX and requires no
    expansion slot. They claim the following benchmark results:
    Norton SI: 17.4, Landmark:23.1/12.3, Dhrystones: 3069/8.92,
    Whetstones 69.3K/10.5. The price is $895. The product is
    actually made by Kingston Technology Corporation.

    This product seems interesting if their benchmark claims are
    correct, but the price is a bit too much. For $200 more or so
    one could get an Aox MicroMASTER (387DX-20) with one meg of
    memory. Anyone have experience with this product ?

    Teemu.
--
    Teemu Mottonen / Department of Computer Science / University of Helsinki
    tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi | TMOTTONEN@FINUH | tmottone@kruuna.helsinki.fi