[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Suggestion for removable hard drive

yung@contact.uucp (04/19/91)

Hi, folks.

Any body heard of the RHD removable hard drive from DISCTEC? Is that any
good?

I would also be very interested in suggestion of removable hard drive
of other brand.

Thanks in advance. Happy computing.

Amos Yung    *       " Don't be silly. Of course the plane
email:       *         won't crash. *I* am on it!!! "
utai!contact *              -Murphy Brown.

ccericj@castor (Eric J. Prosser) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.201857.27462@contact.uucp> yung@contact.uucp () writes:
>Hi, folks.
>
>Any body heard of the RHD removable hard drive from DISCTEC? Is that any
>good?
>
>I would also be very interested in suggestion of removable hard drive
>of other brand.

You might try EHMAN.  We have three here in our department working both
with on the Mac and the IBM.  The only catch is you need a SCSI card in
order to connect it.  Their # is 800-257-1666  (FAX) 307-789-4656   The
price we paid was around $599 for a 45Mb.  the cartriges run around $80.

You might also try CUTTING EDGE - # 307-789-3830    You also need a SCSI
card for this one.

You may know this, but remember when you buy your SCSI card you need to
specify whether you have an AT bus or Micro Channel.  Gook luck.

Eric Jon Prosser                    ejprosser@ucdavis.edu
I&P Computing Services              (916) 752-2906

froelich@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bill froelich) (04/23/91)

ccericj@castor (Eric J. Prosser) writes:

In article <1991Apr18.201857.27462@contact.uucp> yung@contact.uucp () writes:
>Hi, folks.
>
>Any body heard of the RHD removable hard drive from DISCTEC? Is that any
>good?
>
>I would also be very interested in suggestion of removable hard drive
>of other brand.

You might also look at Liberty Systems.  They support Mac or IBM and the ad
claims it works with Everything.  It is a SCSI device, but you don't need
a SCSI card.  On the IBM it attaches to the parallel port, and the ad says
it has 17ms access time.  On the back of the drive you can attach your printer,
or daisy chain another SCSI device!  If everything in the ad is true, I'd love
to get one myself.  You can call for your free 30-day trial (408) 983-1127.
And the address is Liberty Systems - The Multimedia Portable
		   122 Saratoga Ave, Ste. 16
		   Santa Clara, CA. 95051

If anyone is currently using one, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it,
good or bad.

Bill Froelich - Site Manager			froelich@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Univ. of Illinois				froelich@uiucvmd.bitnet

jschuler@dcs.simpact.com (04/25/91)

In article <12753@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, ccericj@castor (Eric J. Prosser) writes:
> In article <1991Apr18.201857.27462@contact.uucp> yung@contact.uucp () writes:
>>Hi, folks.
>>
>>Any body heard of the RHD removable hard drive from DISCTEC? Is that any
>>good?
>>
>>I would also be very interested in suggestion of removable hard drive
>>of other brand.

(Stuff deleted)

A warning - Bernoulli claims an n ms. "EFFECTIVE" access time in its ads for
removable hard drives. This is NOT AVERAGE acces time.