[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Vidio cable length???

tortajad@sunroof.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) (04/24/91)

Does anyone know the length you can run a VGA vidio cable without having any
problems. Also, is there any kind of amp that would increase the length.

I really need to set up a system with two monitors in different rooms, and wouldappreciate any info on this matter.

                   Thanks,  BOB Tortajada

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/25/91)

tortajad@sunroof.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) writes:

>Does anyone know the length you can run a VGA vidio cable without having any
>problems. Also, is there any kind of amp that would increase the length.

>I really need to set up a system with two monitors in different rooms, and wouldappreciate any info on this matter.

  Hmmm, on straight cable, not very far. You will definately need shielded.
I have my EGA on about 10 feet, and characters on the far right side gives
me italics. Unless you use some sort of amplifier (if one even exists), the
next room will probably be quite far unless you do some drilling. Now, of
course, this is from my experiences with an EGA, it might be completely
different for VGA (and the particular controller used).

  Try ribbon cable too! Boy that was fun! :->

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)