[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Keyboard controller

neh@rci.dk (Niels Erik Holm) (04/25/91)

======================================
Unknown keyboard controller commands
======================================

I write this article because of some problems, I've experienced on our
IBM AT clones. The problem was detected when we used the "IBM PC Network
Adapter II", and the corresponding network programs. When a particular
program was loaded, the computer would reboot.

After some trouble the problem was located to a piece of code, which
put some commands to the keyboard controller. The piece of code was
something like:

	mov	al,0A7h		; Unknown code ????
	out	64h,al
	mov	al,0ADh		; Disable keyboard
	out	64h,al

and

	mov	al,0A8h		; Unknown code ????
	out	64h,al
	mov	al,0AEh		; Enable keyboard
	out	64h,al

The unknown commands A7h and A8h are unknown to me, and they are not listed
in my IBM AT Reference book. Is there anybody who knows what they are
intended for ??

Best regards

Niels Erik Holm
RC International
Denmark
Mail address: neh@rci.dk
Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait
for it, just... let it happen.  Could be a new shirt at the men's store,
a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
(Dale Cooper in Twin Peaks).

rkl@cbnewsh.att.com (kevin.laux) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.111900.4948@rci.dk>, neh@rci.dk (Niels Erik Holm) writes:
> After some trouble the problem was located to a piece of code, which
> put some commands to the keyboard controller. The piece of code was
> something like:
	[code deleted]
> The unknown commands A7h and A8h are unknown to me, and they are not listed
> in my IBM AT Reference book. Is there anybody who knows what they are
> intended for ??

	Command A7h is Disable Mouse Interface; A8h is Enable Mouse Interface.

	R. Kevin Laux				Email: rkl1@hound.att.com
	AT&T Bell Labs				Voice: (908) 949-1160
	Holmdel, NJ 07733			Fax:   (908) 949-0959

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.111900.4948@rci.dk> neh@rci.dk (Niels Erik Holm) writes:
>	mov	al,0A7h		; Unknown code ????
>	out	64h,al
>	mov	al,0ADh		; Disable keyboard
>	out	64h,al
>
>and
>
>	mov	al,0A8h		; Unknown code ????
>	out	64h,al
>	mov	al,0AEh		; Enable keyboard
>	out	64h,al

They're not used for AT's.  But if they match the PS/2 functions then they
mean:

A7: Disable auxilliary device.
A8: Enable auxilliary device.

If the system's keyboard controller's incompatible, it could accidentally mean

A7: Enable PC keyboard mode.
A8: Disable PC keyboard mode.

or who knows what.