[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Seagate SCSI drives

kdorff@nmsu.edu (Kevin C. Dorff) (04/24/91)

Question:
   I currently have a Seagate ST01 controller and ST296N 83 meg drive.
I would like to add another SCSI drive, probably a seagate STxxxN
drive.  What will be required to make this addition?

Will the ST01 control several (2, or 2+) drives?  What is required to
do this?  What kind of cable will I need and where to find it.

    Thanks Mucho!
--

            Kevin Dorff
            kdorff@nmsu.edu

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (04/26/91)

In article <KDORFF.91Apr23125222@dante.nmsu.edu> kdorff@nmsu.edu (Kevin C. Dorff) writes:

>Question:
>   I currently have a Seagate ST01 controller and ST296N 83 meg drive.
>I would like to add another SCSI drive, probably a seagate STxxxN
>drive.  What will be required to make this addition?

I have a similar setup (a ST-02 controller instead). I am also going to
add another drive. I have talked to my dealer and another dealer who is
specialized in hard drives. Apparently, you can add another SCSI drive
as long as it is not bigger than 1024 cylinders.

>Will the ST01 control several (2, or 2+) drives?  What is required to

It should be able to handle 2 or more drives (my dealer thinks that it has
a limit of 3 or something like that).

>do this?  What kind of cable will I need and where to find it.

You do need a SCSI cable to daisy chain your next drive. You should be able to
get it from where you buy the drive.

>    Thanks Mucho!
>--
>
>            Kevin Dorff
>            kdorff@nmsu.edu

Actaully, you can add a different controller/drive combo (e.g. IDE, RLL or
even regular MFM) if you choose to. It may be a cheaper solution to just
add an IDE adpator/drive depending on your application.

Anyway, I would like  to get a bigger drive which has >1024 cylinders and would
like to get better performance out of the 85 Meg drive. Instead of going the
IDE adpator/drive route, I decided to get a new controller (ALWAYS IN-2000)
which is a 16 bit SCSI controller and can handle the bigger drive. However,
it is CDN$200 more than getting an IDE controller with the IDE version of the
same drive.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

det@nightowl.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (04/28/91)

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) writes:

>In article <KDORFF.91Apr23125222@dante.nmsu.edu> kdorff@nmsu.edu (Kevin C. Dorff) writes:
>>   I currently have a Seagate ST01 controller and ST296N 83 meg drive.
>>I would like to add another SCSI drive, probably a seagate STxxxN
>>drive.  What will be required to make this addition?

>I have a similar setup (a ST-02 controller instead). I am also going to
>add another drive. I have talked to my dealer and another dealer who is
>specialized in hard drives. Apparently, you can add another SCSI drive
>as long as it is not bigger than 1024 cylinders.
>It should be able to handle 2 or more drives (my dealer thinks that it has
>a limit of 3 or something like that).

Your dealer is incorrect.  The st-0x family of scsi controllers can handle
up to seven (7) drives each.  The limitation is with the driver (software)
not the card (hardware).  The MS-DOS driver supplied by seagate handles only
two drives.  Change the driver and you can get more (or less) supported drives
depending on the driver you get.
Furthermore, i am currently using an st-01 with a wrenIV which as >1400
cylinders and it does just fine.  Nowhere in the manual does it mention such
a cylinder limitation.  Again, i think that this is probably a limitation of
the software, not the hardware.

>Actaully, you can add a different controller/drive combo (e.g. IDE, RLL or
>even regular MFM) if you choose to. It may be a cheaper solution to just
>add an IDE adpator/drive depending on your application.

I think it would be cheaper and more efficient to simply add up to six more
drives on the single SCSI card that you already have.  Then you can enjoy the
parallel access that SCSI gives you.
--
det@nightowl.mn.org