[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problems with Comp. Peripherals modem

ldstern@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) (04/22/91)

To all: I have a Computer Peripherals 300/1200/2400 internal modem (the Hook-up
2400) installed in my Compuadd 286 AT clone (6 and 10 MHZ switchable).
I spend a lot of time logged into a Unix machine via Kermit (and sometimes othercomm. packages) and periodically just lose my connection, ie. I hear my modem
click off and get a 'no carrier' message. I have been assuming a noisy phone
line till I got a Tandy 1400 laptop with an internal 2400 modem, which gives
me absolutely no problems in connections, downloading, or anything. Has anyone
else had problems with this modem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
						-Larry Stern

--

Larry Stern                                  LDSTERN@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU

David_Dave_Tamashiro@cup.portal.com (04/27/91)

To: Larry

I have the same Hook UP 2400 modem as you.  (I have 2 infact).  I notice
they both have trouble when more than "Modem Device" is attached to the same
phone line.  My problem is I can get the HU2400 to run at 2400 baud when more
than one modem,fax,etc. is attach on my phone line.  My solution was to
run the modem at 1200 baud.  That fixed the problem for now. (I don't want
to shell out any more money for another wimpy modem).

Dave

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/28/91)

In article <41747@cup.portal.com> David_Dave_Tamashiro@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have the same Hook UP 2400 modem as you.  (I have 2 infact).  I notice
>they both have trouble when more than "Modem Device" is attached to the same
>phone line.  My problem is I can get the HU2400 to run at 2400 baud when more
>than one modem,fax,etc. is attach on my phone line.  My solution was to
>run the modem at 1200 baud.  That fixed the problem for now. (I don't want
>to shell out any more money for another wimpy modem).

The odds are that it is not your modem...  We have 5 of those modems
hooked up to the same line in our office and it works fine-- as well as a
fax machine and a few other things.

Try disconnecting the FAX or other things until the problem goes away...
--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .