[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sieko monitor annoyance

skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) (04/14/91)

Since Sieko and Sony monitors have been a hot item of discussion lately I've
got question.
I have a 386SX-20MHz system with a Prodesigner-II (512K) and a Sieko
CM1440 (I'm pretty sure that's the model, it's the interlaced Sieko monitor)
It's got a very good picture but there's one thing that really annoys me.
There's a very thin horizontal black line about 1/3 the way up from the
bottom of the screen that NEVER goes away. It becomes more and more visible
the lighter the background gets.
I called Sieko tech support and they said it's normal and it's part of Sony's
monitor technology (since Sony manufactures Sieko's picture tubes).
I just wondered if the rest of you Sony and Sieko owners have to deal with
the same odity that I have to deal with because sometimes that little line
annoys me so much I just want to trade my monitor in for a not-so-high
quality one.
Was the Sieko tech support right or do they just tell their customers that
so they don't have to go through the hassles of replacing faulty monitors?

Any help or comments on my delema would be very appreciated! Thanks for
your help!

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/14/91)

skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) writes:
>I have a 386SX-20MHz system with a Prodesigner-II (512K) and a Sieko
>CM1440 (I'm pretty sure that's the model, it's the interlaced Sieko monitor)
>It's got a very good picture but there's one thing that really annoys me.
>There's a very thin horizontal black line about 1/3 the way up from the
>bottom of the screen that NEVER goes away. It becomes more and more visible
>the lighter the background gets.
>I called Sieko tech support and they said it's normal and it's part of Sony's
>monitor technology (since Sony manufactures Sieko's picture tubes).
>I just wondered if the rest of you Sony and Sieko owners have to deal with
>the same odity that I have to deal with because sometimes that little line
>annoys me so much I just want to trade my monitor in for a not-so-high
>quality one.
>Was the Sieko tech support right or do they just tell their customers that
>so they don't have to go through the hassles of replacing faulty monitors?

They told you the truth.  Any monitor that has the Sony Flat Black
Trinitron tube has this horizontal line: The Seiko 1440, Seiko 1450,
Sony 1302, Sony 1304, and others.  I have a Sony 1304 and
I have the same line; I even knew about the line before I bought
my monitor because people on the net had discussed it.  As far as
I understand it's a stabilizing wire for the flat screen construction;
the wire casts a shadow on the tube's face.

I am surprised it bothers you so much.  Even after I was concerned
about having a "perpetual flaw" in my $600 monitor, I didn't notice
it until I had used my computer about 14 hrs./day for a week or
so.  And the only reason I noticed it is that I happened to have
a very white background in Windows which enabled me to notice it.
Right now with a normal bright blue background in Procomm I can't
even find it (I'm looking for it right now).

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr14.021735.8177@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) writes:
>Since Sieko and Sony monitors have been a hot item of discussion lately I've
>got question.
>I have a 386SX-20MHz system with a Prodesigner-II (512K) and a Sieko
>CM1440 (I'm pretty sure that's the model, it's the interlaced Sieko monitor)
>It's got a very good picture but there's one thing that really annoys me.
>There's a very thin horizontal black line about 1/3 the way up from the
>bottom of the screen that NEVER goes away. It becomes more and more visible
>the lighter the background gets.
>I called Sieko tech support and they said it's normal and it's part of Sony's
>monitor technology (since Sony manufactures Sieko's picture tubes).

I have a SONY 13" television and it has the same horizontal line. I noticed
it when I switched from "TV" to "VIDEO" input, and when no video input was
connected the screen is white .... with a thin black line 1/3 of the way up.
I've learned to ignore it.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) (04/29/91)

I have it too.  Sigh...
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554