[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] problem: ET4000/1024x768/Win3/enhanced 386

hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Henning Spruth) (04/25/91)

I am using the following configuration:

- 25 Mhz 80386 clone
- ET 4000 super VGA card w/1 MB RAM, called the 'VGA/8514AX2'
- 120 MB WREN III w/Adaptec 2320 Controller
- HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.SYS/SMARTDRIVE.SYS

When I set up Windows for 1024x768x16 or 1024x768x256, the monitor
goes out of sync when I start Windows. If I execute Windows in
standard mode ('win -s'), everything is fine. The other resolutions,
e.g. 800x600x256, work o.k. in both standard and enhanced 386 mode.

I have tried various windows drivers for the ET4000 (the one supplied
with the VGA card and two from cica.cica.indiana.edu) and keep
getting these effects with all of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-
Henning Spruth <--> hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (04/27/91)

hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Henning Spruth) writes:

>I am using the following configuration:

>- 25 Mhz 80386 clone
>- ET 4000 super VGA card w/1 MB RAM, called the 'VGA/8514AX2'
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm using VGA/8515AX2 with 1M RAM. Newer VGA card? from the same company?
and works fine with all software I use in high res mode (1024x768x256)
flicker is minimum (not completely flicker free since I'm using NEC 3D
- interlace monitor).
I'm using a 386/33 with 64K cache and in another computer I'm using
a 386/25 no cache.
Note: *VGA/8515AX2 is a trademark of Trident Computer Inc. and ET4000
       is a trademark of Tseng Labs.
      *The VGA card is using ET4000A ???? if I remember correctly

>I have tried various windows drivers for the ET4000 (the one supplied
>with the VGA card and two from cica.cica.indiana.edu) and keep
>getting these effects with all of them.

If you need the drivers for the VGA card that I have, please let me know
If more then one netter is interested in then I my uploaded to cica...
if this is legal!.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>-
>Henning Spruth <--> hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

Darmawan
dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jsims@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (J. Robert Sims) (04/30/91)

In article <hns.672561527@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Henning Spruth) writes:
>I am using the following configuration:
>
>- 25 Mhz 80386 clone
>- ET 4000 super VGA card w/1 MB RAM, called the 'VGA/8514AX2'
>- 120 MB WREN III w/Adaptec 2320 Controller
>- HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.SYS/SMARTDRIVE.SYS
>
>When I set up Windows for 1024x768x16 or 1024x768x256, the monitor
>goes out of sync when I start Windows. If I execute Windows in
>standard mode ('win -s'), everything is fine. The other resolutions,
>e.g. 800x600x256, work o.k. in both standard and enhanced 386 mode.
>
>I have tried various windows drivers for the ET4000 (the one supplied
>with the VGA card and two from cica.cica.indiana.edu) and keep
>getting these effects with all of them.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>-
>Henning Spruth <--> hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

This sounds like one of 3 things:

1) Your monitor can't handle 1024x768 - unlikely, as you can get it to work.

2) Your monitor is interlaced at that resolution, and the card is displaying
      non-interlaced video.  My Tseng 4000 defaults to interlaced, I don't
      know about yours.

3) Vice versa.  Your monitor is non-interlaced at that resolution, and the
      card is displaying interlaced.  This is what happened with my setup.
      I have to run a simple utility (called vmode) to switch the board
      into a non-interlaced mode with the correct scan rates for my
      monitor (there is more than one rate setting available per resolution).
      The utility is non-resident, and quite permanent.  It never gets
      accidentally reset during use.

Rob
jsims@vuse.vanderbilt.edu