[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PS/2 Mouse Port & Logitech

km4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ke-Wei Ma) (04/30/91)

    I have this Logitech 2 button mouse designed to be used with a
serial port ONLY for longest time.  Does anybody out there in net know
if it is possible
to connect this rodent to my PS/2 mouse port on my Model 30 (8086) so I can
free up a COM port?  Is there a adapter I can buy or does anybody know
how to the pin configurations so I can hardwire an adapter myself?
Thanks in advance.

Ke-Wei Ma
Carnegie Mellon University
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Internet: km4c@andrew.cmu.edu

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (05/02/91)

I have seen similar questions asked many times previously, but always missed
the response.  Perhaps it went by e-mail.

I'm sure that others must also be interested, also, so please post responses,
or at least a summary.

Thanks!

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

mpratap@cue.bc.ca (Matt Pratap) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.170505.25986@simasd.uucp> donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:
>I have seen similar questions asked many times previously, but always missed
>the response.  Perhaps it went by e-mail.
>I'm sure that others must also be interested, also, so please post responses,
>or at least a summary.

I just started using a Logitech mouse on the PS/2 model 30's at my
school.  The instructor also had problems setting up the mice, so
he phoned Logitech.  They told him to put the mouse in a normal
serial port (not the mouse port). Then to activate the driver,
we have to type:

mouse ser

The 'ser' sets the driver to look at the serial port, not mouse port.

Hope this help you.

Matt Pratap, Victoria B.C. -=- mpratap@cue.bc.ca  *  (Insert quote here!)