[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PS/2 mouse

RVY2@psuvm.psu.edu (02/22/91)

Can you use a serial mouse with a PS/2?  A lady in one of our offices has
a PS/2 Model 50Z ... she has ordered a BSR serial mouse.  I've only seen
PS/2s with IBM brand mice attached.  We have always referred to
these mice a "PS/2 mice".  Obviously, I have a lot to learn
about this ... any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Ron Yarnick   RVY2@PSUVM

cjkuo@locus.com (Chengi Jimmy Kuo) (02/23/91)

<RVY2@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>Can you use a serial mouse with a PS/2?  A lady in one of our offices has
>a PS/2 Model 50Z ... she has ordered a BSR serial mouse.  I've only seen
>PS/2s with IBM brand mice attached.  We have always referred to
>these mice a "PS/2 mice".  Obviously, I have a lot to learn
>about this ... any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

>Ron Yarnick   RVY2@PSUVM

You could use it in the async port but not in the PS/2 pointing device port.
The PS/2 pointing device port only understands the handshake protocol of the
PS/2 mouse <==> keyboard.

Jimmy Kuo (Formerly PS/2 model 30 Pointing Device BIOS)
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"

acunger@netmbx.UUCP (Arnie Unger) (02/23/91)

RVY2@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>Can you use a serial mouse with a PS/2?  A lady in one of our offices has
>a PS/2 Model 50Z ... she has ordered a BSR serial mouse.  I've only seen
>PS/2s with IBM brand mice attached.  We have always referred to
>these mice a "PS/2 mice".  Obviously, I have a lot to learn
>about this ... any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can use any serial mouse with a 25-pin connector.  The PS/2's
also have a special mouse port next to the keyboard port.  Using this
port will keep your only serial port free to do useful things like
communicate with these newsgroups :-).  If no need for her serial port,
use it.  The mouse itself may come with a PS/2 adapter to use the
dedicated mouse port.

Arnie Unger (acunger%netmbx@tmpmbx.UUCP) Berlin, Germany
--- Seen on a F-111 bomb: TO ANY IRAQI SERVICEMEMBER!

jm9t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Josh Brian Mastronarde) (02/24/91)

Yes, you can use serial mice with the PS/2.  In fact, I believe the PS/2
mouse port is very similar to a normal serial port.  I know that at
least one version of the Microsoft Serial Mouse comes with three adapter
cables:  25 pin serial, 9 pin serial, and PS/2 mouse port.  Also, the
same MOUSE.COM program works on all machines (with Microsoft mice at
least).
    In short, yes, you can use serial mice with a PS/2.  Good thing,
too, or we'd all be forced to use that ugly, heavy, weird shaped thing
that IBM calls a mouse.  Ugh.  In my opinion, the newest Microsoft mouse
is the nicest mouse I have ever used--perfectly shaped, nice feel to the
buttons, great control, and it looks nice, too.

-Josh Mastronarde
-jm9t+@andrew.cmu.edu                  (Internet)
-jm9t+%andrew.cmu.edu@carnegie.bitnet  (BITNET)

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) (05/02/91)

I kept my Microsoft mouse when I sold my PS/2 system. Question is can
I use the mouse with my new computer which only has DB25 serial ports?
The mouse has a 6 pin round plug. Are there any converters that'll allow
me to do this? Failing that can someone give me the various pin-outs
on the mouse?

Thanks...

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     \  ^  /                 eugene@pogo.ai.mit.edu       (USA)
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.213419.21999@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) writes:

   I kept my Microsoft mouse when I sold my PS/2 system. Question is can
   I use the mouse with my new computer which only has DB25 serial ports?
   The mouse has a 6 pin round plug. Are there any converters that'll allow
   me to do this? Failing that can someone give me the various pin-outs
   on the mouse?

   Thanks...

When I purchsed my genius mouse a year ago, it came (for $5 extra)
with a db9 to ps/2 port connection.  I'd assume that the reverse is
made but if not you could reverse engineer it.  Look in a computer
catalog or big store (compu-use (softwarehouse), jade computers,
etc...)

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem