[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 80C287 from AMD??

gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) (05/01/91)

I was wondering if anyone out there has taken ADM up on their offer of a
80C287 10Mhz co-processor for $99??  I decided to go ahead and order it just to
check it out but I'm curious to talk to others who have experience with it.

Thanks,
--
Glenn Pitcher                              UUCP: {crash,ucsd}!edpmgt!gpitcher
Programmer/Analyst &                                  hp-sdd!teamnet!gpitcher

bjorn@valhalla.esd.sgi.com (Bjorn Lindstrom) (05/01/91)

In article <611@edpmgt.UUCP>, gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) writes:
|> I was wondering if anyone out there has taken ADM up on their offer of a
|> 80C287 10Mhz co-processor for $99??  I decided to go ahead and order it just to
|> check it out but I'm curious to talk to others who have experience with it.
|>
|> Thanks,
|> --
|> Glenn Pitcher                              UUCP: {crash,ucsd}!edpmgt!gpitcher

I use it in a 10 mhz. AT, and have no complaints.  I works pretty much as
advertised.  It was very easy to install, and has caused no problems.  I run
Windows a lot, and it would be nice to see it used more extensively there, but
for math intensive applications (ie. fractals) it's a nice change of pace.  I
still have to wait for a fractal, but at least I'm not waiting all day.  I
got mine for $84 from SoftWarehouse (now Comp USA) when it was on sale.  I am
not sure if it helped enough to make a difference day to day, but it DOES
make quite a difference once in a while.

Bjorn

"My idea of power is plugging my PC into a 220 volt outlet!"

wdp@ee.egr.duke.edu (William D. Palmer) (05/01/91)

In reference to the posting:

> From: gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher)
> Subject: 80C287 from AMD??
> Date: 30 Apr 91 19:11:22 GMT

> I was wondering if anyone out there has taken ADM up on their offer of a
> 80C287 10Mhz co-processor for $99??

We bought one for our lab for use in an NCR AT compatible.  It worked fine
for about six months, then went on (permanent) vacation.  AMD cheerfully
sent us another one right away, which has been working for three months
without a hitch (knock on wood).  The fine print on their guarantee says
the parts have a lifetime guarantee, as long as they don't have to send
you more than two new ones.

In defense of AMD, the NCR computer has a non-standard case with a tiny fan
on the power supply.  I'll bet it gets pretty hot in there.

> Thanks,

You're welcome,

Dev Palmer
wdp@dukee.egr.duke.edu
Duke Electrical Engineering
Room 309 Old Engineering Bldg.
Durham, NC  27706
(919) 660-5282

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (05/01/91)

In article <611@edpmgt.UUCP> gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone out there has taken ADM up on their offer of a
> 80C287 10Mhz co-processor for $99??  I decided to go ahead and order it just to
> check it out but I'm curious to talk to others who have experience with it.

Seems to work fine. Runs diagnostics okay. Runs autocad 9.0 okay. I have a
20Mhz DELL machine.  When I asked AMD about it, they said that the clock
speed gets divided by 2 on 20 MHz machines instead of by 2/3 as on slower
machines.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"The change (due to distance from the center of the earth) in the
acceleration due to gravity is trivial for dropping cats from high
buildings or airplanes, but must be taken into account when
launching them from satellites or far planets."
						Bill Schulz

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/02/91)

gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone out there has taken ADM up on their offer of a
>80C287 10Mhz co-processor for $99??  I decided to go ahead and order it just to
>check it out but I'm curious to talk to others who have experience with it.

I did, it works great. Of course, I didn't pay $99. :-)
--

acook@athena.mit.edu (Andrew R Cook) (05/02/91)

Hi

I bought the AMD 80C287 for my 12Mhz 286 box about 2 months ago.  I have had no
problems with it.  It seems to be comparable in speed to the Intel 287, according
to some simple code I wrote, and ran on both.

But how 'bout the price ?!  Kudos to AMD to lowering the cost of a processor.
If we could only get Intel to lower their prices too (for example, cheap 486DX's
would be nice . . . ).

Keep it up AMD - Let's see some market crashing low prices on your new 40Mhz
386 chips !  How about $99 387-40, 33, 25 's ?

Sorry, just a little fantasy of mine.  You know, power for the poor, etc . . .

Andy
acook@athena.mit.edu

gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) (05/02/91)

In article <1416@cameron.egr.duke.edu> wdp@ee.egr.duke.edu (William D. Palmer) writes:
>We bought one for our lab for use in an NCR AT compatible.  It worked fine
>for about six months, then went on (permanent) vacation.  AMD cheerfully
>sent us another one right away, which has been working for three months
>without a hitch (knock on wood).  The fine print on their guarantee says
>the parts have a lifetime guarantee, as long as they don't have to send
>you more than two new ones.

What is the speed of the AT?? Is it possible that the AT was running too fast
for the chip and the resulting heat just cooked it?