[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 1.44M drive in an old IBM-AT.....help!

etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Earl Tryon ) (04/24/91)

Hi,

  Have a major problem!  Have an old IBM-AT and a Wyse 286 (4
years old).  Both machnies have or had 1.2M 5.25" A: drives and
720K 3.5" B: drives.  Both B: drives need to be replaced and
upgraded to 3.5" drives with 1.44M.  After several attempts to
install it became clear the BIOS or something was not going to
let the machines understand a 1.44M drive was present.  The
directory on both harddisks could be read but gets "sector not
found" errors when data is being read from the disk.
  Do I need to buy a new BIOS???  The floppy 1.44M drives are
Mitsumi 45223.  We have tried using a newer controller cards in
both machines (DTK 2-FDO card), with and without the card's BIOS.
HELP!!!!!!
                 Thanks for any suggestions.
                                             Earl
--
Earl Tryon       Agridata Resources Inc.
330 E. Kilbourn Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53202

feurer@brahms.udel.edu (Gary Alan Feurer) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.143502.23888@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU> etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Earl Tryon ) writes:
=>Hi,
=>
=>  Have a major problem!  Have an old IBM-AT and a Wyse 286 (4
=>years old).  Both machnies have or had 1.2M 5.25" A: drives and
=>720K 3.5" B: drives.  Both B: drives need to be replaced and
=>upgraded to 3.5" drives with 1.44M.  After several attempts to
=>install it became clear the BIOS or something was not going to
=>let the machines understand a 1.44M drive was present.  The
=>directory on both harddisks could be read but gets "sector not
=>found" errors when data is being read from the disk.
=>  Do I need to buy a new BIOS???  The floppy 1.44M drives are
=>Mitsumi 45223.  We have tried using a newer controller cards in
=>both machines (DTK 2-FDO card), with and without the card's BIOS.
=>HELP!!!!!!
=>                 Thanks for any suggestions.
=>                                             Earl
=>--
I am currently having exactly the same problem with an old AT.  There may
be several of us, so maybe replies to the net would not be out of order.
Thanks.							--gary

--
Gary A. Feurer		    			 Instructional Technology
303B Hall Education Building			   work:   (302) 451-2751

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/25/91)

feurer@brahms.udel.edu (Gary Alan Feurer) writes:

> In article <1991Apr24.143502.23888@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU> etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU
> =>Hi,
> =>
> =>  Have a major problem!  Have an old IBM-AT and a Wyse 286 (4
> =>years old).  Both machnies have or had 1.2M 5.25" A: drives and
> =>720K 3.5" B: drives.  Both B: drives need to be replaced and
> =>upgraded to 3.5" drives with 1.44M.  After several attempts to
> =>install it became clear the BIOS or something was not going to
> =>let the machines understand a 1.44M drive was present.  The
> =>directory on both harddisks could be read but gets "sector not
> =>found" errors when data is being read from the disk.
> =>  Do I need to buy a new BIOS???  The floppy 1.44M drives are
> =>Mitsumi 45223.  We have tried using a newer controller cards in
> =>both machines (DTK 2-FDO card), with and without the card's BIOS.
> =>HELP!!!!!!
> =>                 Thanks for any suggestions.
> =>                                             Earl
> =>--
> I am currently having exactly the same problem with an old AT.  There may
> be several of us, so maybe replies to the net would not be out of order.
> Thanks.							--gary
>
> --
> Gary A. Feurer		    			 Instructional Technology
> 303B Hall Education Building			   work:   (302) 451-2751
> University of Delaware				   home:   (215) 255-5124
> Newark, DE  19716			           feurer@brahms.udel.edu

I *was* having the same problem with my AT.  You are right, the bios
doesn't know about 1.44 meg drives because it's to old of a bios.

Now, don't go crazy, there are solutions. <grin>

What I'm currently using is a program (actually a suite of programs)
and a driver from a company called Bastech Inc. out of North
Hollywood, CA 91605.  The software is dated 1988 and I got it from a
friend (original disk).  What you have is a device driver that you
load in your config.sys and some utility programs that will let you
read/write/format 1.44 and 720 3.5" drives.  I don't know how easy to
come by this software is but it works for me.  It is not the best
solution however.

The second solution that I know of is to purchase a newer hard disk /
floppy controller card that has it's own rom bios built in.  This
will function better than the software driver and it will allow
programs such as Norton to recognize the fact that you do have a 1.44
meg drive around for use.

When I use Norton for formatting disks, the software solution doesn't
provide Norton Utils with the information on the drive so Norton
doesn't know it's there.  You have to use thier format35 software for
formatting disks.  The hardware solution I believe works just as a
normal drive would work.  I don't really know for sure as I don't own
a newer RLL controller with the Rom built in.  I have the old
original MFM card that was supplied with circa 1985 IBM AT machines.
ARGH!

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) (04/25/91)

In <20768@brahms.udel.edu> feurer@brahms.udel.edu (Gary Alan Feurer) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.143502.23888@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU> etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Earl Tryon ) writes:

We have a number of old AT's, both 6MHz and 8MHz, that we have
installed Sysgen 1.44Mb 3.5" drives into.  As of this time, we have
not had any problems with any of them.

--
Tony Wilson (News Administrator)                 wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson

9020675@ul.ie (05/03/91)

> I am currently having exactly the same problem with an old AT.  There may
> be several of us, so maybe replies to the net would not be out of order.
> Thanks.							--gary

                   I too have a trusty old IBM AT. I has a 5.25" drive only
but I temporarily installed a 3.5" drive when setting up a network.

     i know it might sound obvious, but did you try changing the setup ??

I know it worked for me ! I was able to set up drive B as a 3.5" and I know
that I could also set up another 5.25" with extreme ease...

          Try changing the set-ups, it should work.

Alan Weadick

*   Alan Weadick                  *                                           *
*     University Of Limerick      *    To err is human, to really screw       *
*       Ireland.                  *                                           *
*                                 *    things up you need a computer.         *
*   E. Mail.  9020675@ul.ie       *                                           *