[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Which 386/33 Motherboard?

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (04/24/91)

I'm putting together a new PC, and have decided (more or less) on a
386/33.  I started out thinking about the 'no-name' boards, but being
that I plan to run UNIX, OS-2, et al, and things like SCSI controllers,
I decided to go with a topnotch 'name brand' motherboard.

At this point, it looks like the top contenders are Micronics (used by
people like Gateway), Omnitel (used here locally by Uncle Ralphs, and
US Mach), and Mylex.  There are others, such as AMI, but I don't know
much about them.

Saw a review on the Gateway, it looked exceedingly stable and compatible.
While their 'baby' size MB only accepts 4 MB without a $150 memory card
(that takes up a slot), their full size one accepts 16 MB onboard.

I plan on running an Adaptec 1542, 3Com 3C501 ethernet, Orchid VGA,
Mars scanner, perhaps a Complete Communicator board, and who-knows-
what in the future.  I was also impressed by the fact that apparently
Micronics has very good documentation on their boards.  This would be
important to me.

Thank you for your input.  I can summarize later for those who are
interested.

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (04/26/91)

/ pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) /  6:17 pm  Apr 24, 1991 / writes:

$ I'm putting together a new PC, and have decided (more or less) on a
$ 386/33.  I started out thinking about the 'no-name' boards, but being
$ that I plan to run UNIX, OS-2, et al, and things like SCSI controllers,
$ I decided to go with a topnotch 'name brand' motherboard.
$
Let me confuse you a little. Among my friends, I have noticed that
OS/2 has problem running on 'name brand' clone, but runs okay on cheap
Taiwanese clones  :-).

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, you are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (05/01/91)

In article <3370020@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com> plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
>/ pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) /  6:17 pm  Apr 24, 1991 / writes:
>
>$ I'm putting together a new PC, and have decided (more or less) on a
>$ 386/33.  I started out thinking about the 'no-name' boards, but being
>$ that I plan to run UNIX, OS-2, et al, and things like SCSI controllers,
>$ I decided to go with a topnotch 'name brand' motherboard.
>$
>Let me confuse you a little. Among my friends, I have noticed that
>OS/2 has problem running on 'name brand' clone, but runs okay on cheap
>Taiwanese clones  :-).

Well, I suppose that's interesting- but I'm going to take it with a grain
of salt.  I have a hard time believing something that's so generic.  There
are so many chipsets out there, so many motherboard designs.  Can you be
more specific?  What type of CPU were they using, 386?  And which chipset,
Chips and Tech, VLSI, TI, OPTI, VIA, ???  And which version of OS/2?  And
which BIOS?  Thanks.

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (05/06/91)

/ pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) /  7:57 am  May  1, 1991 / writes:

$ Well, I suppose that's interesting- but I'm going to take it with a grain
$ of salt.  I have a hard time believing something that's so generic.  There
$ are so many chipsets out there, so many motherboard designs.  Can you be
$ more specific?  What type of CPU were they using, 386?  And which chipset,
$ Chips and Tech, VLSI, TI, OPTI, VIA, ???  And which version of OS/2?  And
$ which BIOS?  Thanks.
$
Off hand, these were usually C&T chipset, AMI bios and Intel 386.
Version of OS/2 --- I am not too sure.  .... But heck, this is supposed
to confuse you   ;-).  The general idea is that Taiwanese clones are
more standard stuff than US brand name clones which have some other
enhancement built in. This fact improves their compatibility chances.