[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Using 110V equipment in Europe

snowden@sequoia.cray.com (Jim Snowden) (05/02/91)

I am thinking of getting a piece of US IBM PC equipment (CDROM drive)
and it works off 110V mains.  Could someone please help me to know
how easy it is to run this off UK mains (220-240 V)?  Does a simple
voltage convertor work (even though it doesn't change the Hz from 60
to 50)?

Thanks very much for any help.

Jim Snowden, Cray Research (UK) Ltd, Oldbury, Bracknell, ENGLAND
snowden@sequoia.cray.com

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (05/03/91)

In article <084107.14513@timbuk.cray.com> snowden@sequoia.cray.com (Jim Snowden) writes:
> I am thinking of getting a piece of US IBM PC equipment (CDROM drive)
> and it works off 110V mains.  Could someone please help me to know
> how easy it is to run this off UK mains (220-240 V)?  Does a simple
> voltage convertor work (even though it doesn't change the Hz from 60
> to 50)?
>
> Thanks very much for any help.
>
> Jim Snowden, Cray Research (UK) Ltd, Oldbury, Bracknell, ENGLAND
> snowden@sequoia.cray.com

To run 110V on English mains, you need an AutoTransformer which
brings 240V down to 110V (it has a single winding with a tapping
somewhere near the middle for the output).  They are available either
as a naked component (solder your own connections & mount it in a box)
or as a neatly-packaged device for connecting industrial equipment
(things like hammer drills for use in building are designed as 110V
for safer use outside).  The latter will be rather more expensive.
The frequency is very unlikely to matter unless the power supply
in the thing you buy is particularly fussy.  The only way to find
this out is to get hold of the specification or the data plate mounted
on the device itself.  The frequency range should be specified,
and will often be: "50-60Hz".  If it says 60Hz only, then check with
the manufacturer - it is not possible to predict whether it would
be happy at 50Hz without knowing the design details.
As an example, I am typing this on a PS/2 55SX which has a dual-
voltage power supply (switched to 230V) marked 50/60Hz, and the Monitor
is an 8513 which is single voltage, marked: 200-240V 50Hz.  So the
system unit would be OK anywhere, but the monitor is UK/Europe only.

Good luck - I hope this was of some use.

Howard.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (05/06/91)

>In article <084107.14513@timbuk.cray.com> snowden@sequoia.cray.com (Jim Snowden) writes:
>> I am thinking of getting a piece of US IBM PC equipment (CDROM drive)
>> and it works off 110V mains.  Could someone please help me to know
>> how easy it is to run this off UK mains (220-240 V)?  Does a simple
>> voltage convertor work (even though it doesn't change the Hz from 60
>> to 50)?
No problem.  Something as small as a CDROM would work fine on a 50-watt
transformer.  Just make sure it is a transformer, and not one of those
"power converter" devices that use a triac.  The way you can identify a
power converter is that it is very light weight, like 2 ounces, yet is
rated for 1000 or 1600 watts.  A true transformer weighs on the order
of 100 watts per pound.  Don't worry about the line frequency.  The only
things that this mattered for haven't been manufactured for several years.

--
John Dudeck                                              "You can only push
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                             simplicity so far."