[net.travel] water-drinking Americans

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (03/19/84)

La cucaracha, la cucaracha, ..............

From: saquigley@watmath.UUCP
Subject: Re: Wanted: Info on Greece and/or Egypt

Wherever you go in the world, there is a no-fail way to recognise americans
(and canadians for that matter):  they don't drink the water.

I don't know what is wrong with american's immune system.  Whatever it is, they
should probably start wondering about it.  Other people drink all sorts of
waters without getting sick, it seems that it would be a good idea to get
prepared before going on a holiday out of the country. How? I don't know, maybe
by slowly incorporating garden dirt in your drinking water....

	You got this all wrong.  By your way of recognizing Americans you
	get them confused with Germans, French, Italians, etc,  all the good
	folks who never get such an idea as drinking tab-water, but rather
	request, vino, soda, beer, etc.

	Now, you can recognize an American, by the fuzz he makes when, after
	asking for water, he

	a)  gets the waiter confused who tries to explain that that is not
		available

	b)  gets upset when he gets soda or mineral water

	c)  gets the water, carefully inspects it, tastes it as if to see
		if it's poisened.

	d)  starts a discussion with everyone else on the table about the
		advisability to drink water anywhere but the US.  Endless
		horror-stories and derogatory remarks about the rest of
		the world are, usually, included.

	Now, most non-Americans can recognize 'el gringo' by the way he
	walks, dresses, gestures, etc, and that applies for the little
	old ladies on tour, the businessmen, and the college-kid with the
	back-pack.  At least in areas where international tourists come
	in all flavors.

	But to address the topic in a more serious manner:  Your stomach
	and digestive system is used to the micro-fauna of your place of
	residence and is accustomed to your style of preparing food.
	If you have noticed that your stomach gets easily upset, it is
	recommendable to stay away from tab-water when travelling, as
	well as green-salads and other stuff, which is cleaned with
	tab-water and not later boiled.

	However, if your stomach seems robust, go ahead and eat and drink
	what the natives have, and you'll not get sick more often than they
	do.  I don't recall ever getting sick doing just that when travelling.

		Cheers,
				Werner

PS:  ah yes, Greece, wished I was there sailing the Aegean Sea .....

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (03/20/84)

[]

That't TAP water, TAP- water.  Not tab-water.  Tab-water is the
junk that comes in a can and contains only one calorie and is
usually drunk by people who never need to lose weight.  TAP,
TAP.  A tap is what you turn on to cause the water or other
liquid to begin flowing, like in beer tap.