[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA -> Supervideo or NTSC

it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (04/26/91)

  Sorry to rehash this subject..  I didn't pay attention when this was
discussed awhile back.  We're looking for a HARDWARE ONLY solution that
will display VGA output on NTSC, Supervideo, or Super VHS monitors.  I'm
aware of US Video, Willow VGA-TV, and another device that consists of a
box and a device driver that converts VGA signal to NTSC.  Does anybody
have comments on this subject??  Many thanks in advance..

  Tim.

--
  Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.
                                                       <Murphy's Law>

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/27/91)

From <it1.672654491@Isis.MsState.Edu>, by it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai):

>   Sorry to rehash this subject..  I didn't pay attention when this was
> discussed awhile back.  We're looking for a HARDWARE ONLY solution that
> will display VGA output on NTSC, Supervideo, or Super VHS monitors.  I'm
> aware of US Video, Willow VGA-TV, and another device that consists of a
> box and a device driver that converts VGA signal to NTSC.  Does anybody
> have comments on this subject??  Many thanks in advance..

Yes, we want HARDWARE ONLY and therefore converts in realtime
(ok, I want to play games off my 20" TV set, amongst other things).
Hopefully it will cost less than $500.  Does anybody has that
VIN thing ($399, I think)?  Does it do realtime?  I called the
company (advertised in Computer Shoppers) but could not make
head-or-tail with the guy on the other end.  I suspect he
was trying to confuse me (into buying) because the VIN
does not do realtime (like I want it to).  Nonetheless, I hope I am
wrong and can use the VIN for the purpose.

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (05/01/91)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:

> From <it1.672654491@Isis.MsState.Edu>, by it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai):
> >
> >   Sorry to rehash this subject..  I didn't pay attention when this was
> > discussed awhile back.  We're looking for a HARDWARE ONLY solution that
> > will display VGA output on NTSC, Supervideo, or Super VHS monitors.  I'm
> > aware of US Video, Willow VGA-TV, and another device that consists of a
> > box and a device driver that converts VGA signal to NTSC.  Does anybody
> > have comments on this subject??  Many thanks in advance..
>
> Yes, we want HARDWARE ONLY and therefore converts in realtime
> (ok, I want to play games off my 20" TV set, amongst other things).
> Hopefully it will cost less than $500.  Does anybody has that
> VIN thing ($399, I think)?  Does it do realtime?  I called the
> company (advertised in Computer Shoppers) but could not make
> head-or-tail with the guy on the other end.  I suspect he
> was trying to confuse me (into buying) because the VIN
> does not do realtime (like I want it to).  Nonetheless, I hope I am
> wrong and can use the VIN for the purpose.

  I don't recall what was discussed previously, but the manual for my ATI
VIP card (8-bit vga) suggests that ntsc video is available from pins on
the card.
  I haven't tried it myself.

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (05/03/91)

ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) writes:

>> From <it1.672654491@Isis.MsState.Edu>, by it1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai):
>> >   Sorry to rehash this subject..  I didn't pay attention when this was
>> > discussed awhile back.  We're looking for a HARDWARE ONLY solution that
>> > will display VGA output on NTSC, Supervideo, or Super VHS monitors.  I'm
>> > aware of US Video, Willow VGA-TV, and another device that consists of a
>> > box and a device driver that converts VGA signal to NTSC.  Does anybody
>> > have comments on this subject??  Many thanks in advance..

>  I don't recall what was discussed previously, but the manual for my ATI
>VIP card (8-bit vga) suggests that ntsc video is available from pins on
>the card.

  Thanks for pointing that out.  Which pins are you referring to?  I
just looked through my ATI VGAWonder manual and didn't see anything out
of ordinary.  I dug out my October 1990 issue of Radio Electronics and
found the article on a device that converts NTSC->VGA from Harmonics
Research in New Jersey (201) 652-3277.  I decided to call them and was
delighted to find that they also have a device that converts
VGA->NTSC/S-Video for ~$120 (I don't remember the exact price) in kit
form and $283 assembled.  We will probably give this a shot.  I also
got this in mail:

  } Tim, I think we may be able to help you.  We manufacture an SVGA board
  } that can provide an NTSC recordable output in all standard VGA modes
  } as well as several extended modes, including 640x480x256.
  }
  } Give us a call at (512) 346-5781 and ask for Carrie Cavanaugh.

  The following is an article also posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,
included here for reference in case some of you missed it.

  } About a week ago, I requested info on VGA--> composite video
  } cards.
  }
  } Here's what I've got so far:
  }
  } 1. IEV corp.  Salt Lake City, UT  801/466-9093
  } 	  VGA Broadcaster board does VGA--> composite.  $695.
  } 	  They also make some similar boards for NTSC/RS-170,
  } 	  S-video & RGB/synch RS-170.
  }
  } 2. Avacado computer.  Silver Spring, MD  301/593-5586
  } 	  VGA-TV card can do composite output for the various video
  } 	  modes.  64 shade gray scale or 256 color.  256K mem std,
  } 	  expandable to 512K for $61.  Base cost of card was
  } 	  quoted to me on the phone as $499 but is listed as $699;
  } 	  they offer a 5% education discount.
  }
  } 3. Video Associates Labs  Austin, TX 512/346-5781
  } 	  Microkey/A card:  A rather sophisticated card which can
  } 	  handle up to superVGA (1024 x 768).  Of course composite
  } 	  video can't handle anything more than normal VGA, at
  } 	  least as far as I know.  The card also has audio capabilities
  } 	  whereby it can record and play digitized signals to and from
  } 	  the hard drive.  The card is priced at $1495.  Talk to Carrie
  } 	  Cavanaugh and she'll brighten your day.

--
  I'd never cry if I did find a blue whale in my soup...
  Nor would I mind a porcupine inside a chicken coop.

mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com (Michael Heyda) (05/06/91)

I would be interested in seeing any other information you get on this.
I would like to hook my laptop up to a TV.
						Mike
		before May 25: mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com
		 after May 25: gt6681c@prism.gatech.edu

Thanks.