[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] info on hard disk & controller

hans@ele.tue.nl (& Fleurkens) (07/13/90)

I'm interested in information about hard disks, hard disks controllers
such as:

- MFM
- RLL
- SCSI
- ....

Please let me know where to get information about this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Juraj.

-------

Juraj Zelenay
Eindhoven University of Technology
The Netherlands

E-mail: hans@es.ele.tue.nl

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/16/90)

In article <HANS.90Jul13125225@eutes4.ele.tue.nl> hans@ele.tue.nl (& Fleurkens) writes:

>I'm interested in information about hard disks, hard disks controllers
>such as:
>
>- MFM
>- RLL
>- SCSI

MFM (Modified Frequency Modulation) This is the standard encoding technique for
hard disks, and double-density floppy diskettes. The majority of the hard disk
controllers are MFM. Data transfers to/from the controller are I/O read/write
cycles.

RLL (2,7 Run-length limited) - A data compression technique which uses narrower
data windows to increase the recorded bit density by 50%. As far as the PC is
concerned, it doesn't care if you use RLL or MFM, except that you will have
more storage with RLL.

SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) Originally developed by Shugart for hard
disk interfacing, but now applicable to tape, etc. The only SCSI board I have
used is made by Adaptec. It plugs into the AT and becomes a 16-bit master.
Data transfer is faster than the I/O mapped MFM and RLL controllers, but this
is only an important issue for UNIX or server applications. Not surprisingly,
higher performance cost more.

jarvi@plains.UUCP (Trent Jarvi) (07/17/90)

In article <1171@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>In article <HANS.90Jul13125225@eutes4.ele.tue.nl> hans@ele.tue.nl (& Fleurkens) writes:
>>I'm interested in information about hard disks, hard disks controllers
>
>MFM (Modified Frequency Modulation) This is the standard encoding technique for
/* Standard but works */

>RLL (2,7 Run-length limited) - A data compression technique which uses narrower
/* more diskspace   */

>SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) Originally developed by Shugart for hard
/* $ and fast; breakfast of champs */

Could you be so kind as to exlain what an IDE is?
The dealer said it was mumbo*NEW*mumbo*FAST*mumbo*jumbo

Should have heard the HMHMwarntyCOUGH that went with it :)

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/17/90)

In article <5307@plains.UUCP> jarvi@plains.UUCP (Trent Jarvi) writes:

>Could you be so kind as to exlain what an IDE is?
>The dealer said it was mumbo*NEW*mumbo*FAST*mumbo*jumbo

IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics. Wow!!! Conner Peripherals put *ALL* the
disk controller logic (data separator,serial<->parallel,buffering,etc) onto
the drive itself. An IDE drive only needs a trivial interface card, which
some manufacturers build into their motherboards.

The ASIC I designed at AST Research had IDE support on it. If you get a
system with an internal IDE interface, all you add is the drive and a
40 pin connector. No more hard disk controller board. IDE drives are upward
compatible from the 16-bit AT style controllers and are software-transparent
to DOS, etc.

Why get such a drive ? Well, you'd NEVER, NEVER wan't to replace an existing
AT controller with an IDE setup, because you gain nothing. My guess is that
IDE drives were created for portable systems with tight power and slot-count
requirements. Also, you wont get the performance of an ESDI/SCSI controller.

Now, if you're a hardware hacker and want to add a hard-disk to some sort
of specialty equipment, this beast is the answer to your prayers.

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/17/90)

The IDE interface is also sometimes called the AT interface.  The actual
controller is built  into the disk drive and a very simple host board is
but in the buss slot.  The host board merely sends signals between the
buss and the drive.  All the smarts are in the drive.  This should allow
for really good transfer of data since the controller can be matched closely
to the drive.  It also allows for some economies in production.  Such
combinations could be either faster or slower than other interfaces.  I think
that most present implementations are faster than MFM and slower than ESDI.

Since the host adapter is so simple it is sometimes built right into the
motherboard.

-- cj

hans@ele.tue.nl (& Fleurkens) (07/17/90)

Thanks for the information about this subject, but I should specify my
request more clearly.

Does anybody know books, articles, magazines about hard disk controllers
& hard disks in general?
An introduction on this subject would be very useful.

----

Juraj Zelenay
Eindhoven University of Technology
---
E-mail: hans@es.ele.tue.nl

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (07/17/90)

*
--
Interrogative compatible what way?  As in commands?  As in cchhss address?
As in lowlevel format?  As in badtrack handling?

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/18/90)

In article <816@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> kleonard@gvlv1.UUCP (Ken Leonard) writes:

		{stuff about IDE deleted}

>--
>Interrogative compatible what way?  As in commands?  As in cchhss address?
>As in lowlevel format?  As in badtrack handling?
>--
>Will a lowlevel disk manager program (like SpeedStor or DiskManager) see
>the same things as with an MFM drive?  Will a diskmanager stiil be useful
>for partitioning (for DOS 3 or multiboot systems?)  Will a diskmanager
>still be useful for surface scan, etc?
>-----
>I think I need to know, because I'm _soon_ to buy a system and need to make
>a choice.
>----------

IDE is 100% upward compatible with the AT controller. I have personally
removed an AT controller and replaced it with an IDE interface, and ran
a low-level format. My friend Rich wrote BIOS code at AST and he says there
is no difference between AT and IDE controllers at the BIOS level.

If you're buying a system, don't pay more for an IDE interface if you have
an ample number of slots and you intend to use your old hard-disk controller.
The only advantage of IDE is it allows 'no-slot' hard-disks -- great for
luggables and tiny desktop systems. If you are looking for high-performance
disk operations, try an Adaptec SCSI/ESDI controller. Also, IDE drives cost
a few more bucks, so don't expect to save money.

As far as SpeedStor/surface-scan/etc, shit I dunno, man. I'm a hardware nut.
I think it's safe to assume that these [bomb-code] packages will run ok.

Clarification: MFM is a data encoding technique frequently used on hard/floppy
disk drives, and can be used in AT, IDE, and SCSI controllers, as well as
RLL encoding. So, when someone says 'I have an MFM controller', it could be
IDE, AT, or SCSI/ESDI.

efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey) (05/05/91)

Thanks for the thread to get on.  Been debating SCSI on my DTK-386-20 for some
while.  DOS 3.3 (yeah 32MB).  Presently have TWO RLL 60MB HDs and one each 1.2
and 1.44 FD, four (4) drives, 2HD+2FD.

The questions:
 - CAN I ADD SCSI disk beyond my 2+2 without doing the IRQ war ?
  -- ( I need to save an IRQ for being a network [TOPS] server, later. )
 - If so, WHAT impact will there be on my existing disk controller ?
 - What grief will I have utilizing SCSI H:, I:, J:, K:, L:, ... drives and
    exporting them over a network, like TOPS ?

--
 +  efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org +
 +  efb@nosc.mil   WA6CRE    Gold Coast Sun Users   Vta-SB-SLO DECUS  gnu +

In article <9658@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey II) writes:

|  - CAN I ADD SCSI disk beyond my 2+2 without doing the IRQ war ?
|   -- ( I need to save an IRQ for being a network [TOPS] server, later. )

  IRQ is not used by DOS, so you should not have a problem with it.
However, in case you want to run UNIX later you want a 16 bit controller
which can do interrupts on the "high" IRQs. I *think* Adaptek does this,
and they make a controller with no floppies, or used to.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX