[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] XT h/disk controller in 286AT

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (05/04/91)

int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen McNamara) writes:

>    Having spent my last pennies on upgrading my XT to a 286 I found that
> the AT hard disk controller I hsd bought didn't work. (The perils of public
> auctions) I did however find that the XT controller would work if the
> BIOS setup was set to drive type NONE. Since I have been told that an XT
> controller cannot work in an AT machine I would like to know if any damage
> could be caused by running the machine like this. The BIOS is AWARD v3.03
> (I think), the controller is an unamed Taiwanese card and the drive is
> an ST225.
>    Thanks in advance.

It will work.   But your throughput will be very poor.  I'd suggest
an upgrade to a working AT controller as soon as you can..

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen McNamara) (05/05/91)

--
       The Silver Brumby of            int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au
        the Silicon Plains             brumby@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au

    The grass is always greener on the other side of the network link.

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/06/91)

In article <Pmke21w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) writes:

   int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen McNamara) writes:

   >    Having spent my last pennies on upgrading my XT to a 286 I found that
   > the AT hard disk controller I hsd bought didn't work. (The perils of public
   > auctions) I did however find that the XT controller would work if the
   > BIOS setup was set to drive type NONE. Since I have been told that an XT
   > controller cannot work in an AT machine I would like to know if any damage
   > could be caused by running the machine like this. The BIOS is AWARD v3.03
   > (I think), the controller is an unamed Taiwanese card and the drive is
   > an ST225.
   >    Thanks in advance.

   It will work.   But your throughput will be very poor.  I'd suggest
   an upgrade to a working AT controller as soon as you can..

      Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
   +1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
   +1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

Yes, set you hard disk type to none and your xt controller will work
just fine.  Your throughput might not be as bad as you think,
especially given that it is a st225.  You might want to re low level
format the hard disk to get a better interleve factor.  There are
program which calculate that, spin-rite is a commercial example.  In
all honesty, a little larger is better than a little too small.  5:1
is better than 3:1 if it really can't read sectors as fast as 3:1 and
has to wait for the disk to spin around again.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

n65j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/08/91)

In article <12995@monu1.cc.monash.oz>,
int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen McNamara) writes:

>    Having spent my last pennies on upgrading my XT to a 286 I found that
> the AT hard disk controller I hsd bought didn't work. (The perils of public
> auctions) I did however find that the XT controller would work if the
> BIOS setup was set to drive type NONE. Since I have been told that an XT
> controller cannot work in an AT machine I would like to know if any damage
> could be caused by running the machine like this. The BIOS is AWARD v3.03
> (I think), the controller is an unamed Taiwanese card and the drive is
> an ST225.
>    Thanks in advance.
>

> --
>        The Silver Brumby of            int299s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au
>         the Silicon Plains             brumby@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au
>
>     The grass is always greener on the other side of the network link.

IBM's AT design allowed for XT controllers to work like this, and you obviously
have gotten it to work, so whomever told you that it "cannot work" was being
rather conservative.  Why do you fear _damage_?  Perhaps you should only
be fearing boredom from the slower-than-optimum performance.

-- Steve Pacenka, Cornell U.