[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Help needed with IDE HD parameters/jumpers!!

chuck@coplex.uucp (Chuck Sites) (05/08/91)

jrt@aeg.dsto.oz.au (J.R.Terry-AEG) writes:

>Drive:

>Plus Impulse 105AT/LP IDE (Uses Quantum chips on drive electronics
>card).  Has one 3-position jumper (JP1) labelled DM , SP & DS
>respectively. Factory setting to DS position. What do these settings
>mean?  What BIOS parameters should I set?

The Quantum 105AT/LP IDE is a great drive.  One of the best that I've
come across.  Anyway the drive parameters for it are,
DRIVE TYPE: USER DEFINED (47, 48, OR 49) depending on your bios.
CLY: 755 HD:16 SEC: 17 WP: 756 LZ: 756

>Controller Card:
>Generic Brand (No manufacturer identification) Card has ident 8120 Rev C
>which supports HD and 2 Floppy drives.

It shouldn't matter to much.  Most IDE controllers a fairly good.
Unless you need to do something special, it should be configured
properly by default.

Chuck
chuck@coplex

garyk@cbnewsk.att.com (gerhard.karnik) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.220900.17413@coplex.uucp> chuck@coplex.uucp (Chuck Sites) writes:
>jrt@aeg.dsto.oz.au (J.R.Terry-AEG) writes:
>
>>Plus Impulse 105AT/LP IDE (Uses Quantum chips on drive electronics
>>card).  Has one 3-position jumper (JP1) labelled DM , SP & DS
>>respectively. Factory setting to DS position. What do these settings
>>mean?  What BIOS parameters should I set?

(This is all from another life, spare the flames if I miss a detail.)

The SP & DS jumpers control how many drives are in the system.
The DM is for compatibility with the 40 & 80 meg series.

The factory default is DS - this is for a one drive set-up.

If you want two drives, then take the DS jumper off of your second drive
and place it on the SP of the first drive.  This will make the first
drive the "master" and the second one the "slave".

The DM jumper is for systems with one 105meg or 52meg and also one of the
older type 40meg or 80meg.  To get both of these in the same system,
the 105 or 52 should be set up as master and then jumper DM.
The 40 or 80 meg drive should have no jumpers at all (slave).

P.S. Quantum Drives are NEAT!