[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can I plug a 486SX into my 386DX slot?

scholes@spot.Colorado.EDU (Genuine Bud Man) (05/08/91)

  Forgive me if this is a tremendously stupid question, but...

  I have an old Micronics 386DX-20 motherboard.  Since the
introduction of the 486SX, I can't help but ask if it is possible
to pull my 386 and plug in the SX.  My understanding of the 486SX is
that it is a 486DX w/o the FPU stuff in it.  If this is true,
then it would seem that it is externally functionally equivilent to
a 386DX.  Is there even a prayer that the pins signals are the
same?                        Thanx in advance, Marty

wlnk_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (The Willster) (05/08/91)

In <1991May7.230124.3873@colorado.edu> scholes@spot.Colorado.EDU (Genuine Bud Man) writes:

>  Forgive me if this is a tremendously stupid question, but...

>  I have an old Micronics 386DX-20 motherboard.  Since the
>introduction of the 486SX, I can't help but ask if it is possible
>to pull my 386 and plug in the SX.  My understanding of the 486SX is
>that it is a 486DX w/o the FPU stuff in it.  If this is true,
>then it would seem that it is externally functionally equivilent to
>a 386DX.  Is there even a prayer that the pins signals are the
>same?                        Thanx in advance, Marty

To begin with, the 486SX, right now, is just a 486 with the FPU
stuff disconnected-- it is still on the circuit.  Also, the 486SX
has a different pinout than the 486DX, ie you cannot exchange the
two.  Furthermore, the 486SX is NOT pin compatible with the 386
anymore than the 386 is pin compatible with the 286.  Why Intel does
this is a matter of packing I guess, but, needless to say, you cannot
just plug and play.  Sorry :-).

-- Brian Willnecker
	   Message from 		:  For all of those non-believers,
***********The Willster*****************:  Remember,
     (Yes folks, he's at it again)	:	   Gabriel=God

zucker@raid.dell.com (Brian Zucker) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.230124.3873@colorado.edu> scholes@spot.Colorado.EDU (Genuine Bud Man) writes:

>  Forgive me if this is a tremendously stupid question, but...
>
>  I have an old Micronics 386DX-20 motherboard.  Since the
>introduction of the 486SX, I can't help but ask if it is possible
>to pull my 386 and plug in the SX.  My understanding of the 486SX is
>that it is a 486DX w/o the FPU stuff in it.  If this is true,
>then it would seem that it is externally functionally equivilent to
>a 386DX.  Is there even a prayer that the pins signals are the
>same?                        Thanx in advance, Marty

Sorry, the 486SX uses a larger package (168-pin PGA) than the 386DX (132-pin
PGA).