[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Windows 3.0 on a 12MHz 286 w/1 meg...?

banko@moskva.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) (05/06/91)

I have thinking about buying a 12 MHz 286 system with 1 meg ram, and I am
curious if Windows 3.0 runs in any real sense on such a system?
The Windows 3.0 box says it does, but how well does it run?

Please reply directly to me.  Thanks.

Brad Banko

Brad Banko,  Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute
Dept of Physics, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu, (217)-244-1851, 328-4932

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.164609.9552@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> banko@moskva.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) writes:

   I have thinking about buying a 12 MHz 286 system with 1 meg ram, and I am
   curious if Windows 3.0 runs in any real sense on such a system?
   The Windows 3.0 box says it does, but how well does it run?

   Please reply directly to me.  Thanks.

   Brad Banko

   Brad Banko,  Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute
   Dept of Physics, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
   banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu, (217)-244-1851, 328-4932

I'm quite happy with my 12mhz, 286.  I'm happier now that I have
2.5meg.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

bchen@argon.berkeley.edu (Benjamin Chen) (05/08/91)

I have a ~5 year old  12MHz DTK 286.  I used to run Windows with 1 meg.  It's
tolerable for the applications that came with windows if you don't run
that many.  It was SLOW for MS Word.  I recently upgraded to 2 megs
and am a much happier user.

I guess what it boils down to is what kind of software you'll run and how
many applications you think you might want to run.  Stuff like having
pretty bitmapped images as backgrounds are definitely out for a 1 meg
machine.

Perhaps you should wait until 386 machines come down in price further.
I've been told they should drop another 50% by the end of summer.
If not, you should get at least 2 megs for the 286.

	BC

Benjamin Chen
Electronics Research Laboratory   550-A4 Cory Hall, University of California
(bchen@argon.Berkeley.EDU,  ...!ucbvax!argon!bchen)

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (05/09/91)

banko@moskva.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) writes:

>I have thinking about buying a 12 MHz 286 system with 1 meg ram, and I am
>curious if Windows 3.0 runs in any real sense on such a system?
>The Windows 3.0 box says it does, but how well does it run?

>Please reply directly to me.  Thanks.
My reply bounced (KGB?) - nevertheless here is my  followup:

I have run it on a 8 MHz 286 and it worked well; but I had 3.5 meg RAM and
I think at least 2 megs are neccessary to make it run well. Switching
between DOS-boxes is slow; but most people forget that it is not the main
task for windows to switch DOS-boxes. If the main task is running windows
programmes it works better than I expected it.
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)